My first large group cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dockman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Climax Springs, Mo
Like the title says this is a first for me and yes I am pretty nervous. The group of 100 wants pork and chicken (white meat included). I am not looking to get into the catering business but this groups is customers and potential customers so I offered my help for the get together. I don't have time to do all the cooking on the same day so butts are getting smoked tomorrow. I have 5 10lb butts and will be getting about 12 whole chickens that weight 5 lbs each. With sides is this enough to feed 100? The get together is next Friday the 28th will I need to freeze the pulled pork after it is pulled and cooled? Thanks for all your help

e4utu2en.jpg

ynu6ynas.jpg

I figure 1/3# of pulled pork per person. You're gonna loose 40% of your start weight, so factor that in. This assumes there will be plenty if sides and watching the serving closely.

For chicken I'd consider using parts mix of thighs and drumsticks or all thighs or all drum sticks. Whole chickens look great butore waste and work. Are you serving the chicken pulled? If so thighs work the best.

The wife put together some potatoes!

e9u5amev.jpg
Looks good.
One suggestion I would not cook potatoes below the chicken. A family chain of restaurants had a cousin's that did bake beans below chicken and customers got sick. I have a 2 shelf smoker and always keep the same type of meat above each other. I also keep the things that take longer on the bottom. Keeps me thinking how to lay out my racks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dockman  

All pulled and cooling before we freeze it.
a2epamug.jpg

sapujepe.jpg

uzydeze2.jpg

amy3eryg.jpg

Sarge is happy!
jaguhuja.jpg

Yep there is Sarge the dog.  Family Dogs always get treats when meat is out and about.  Mine does this also. lurks around the smoker, table, you name it, she's there!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky