My first fatty!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beer

Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
Austin, Texas
So I had some pretty grand plans to get creative and make some kind of sweet and spicy fatty, but by the time I finally got around to constructing it, I was several glasses of scotch into an overnight brisket smoke and ended up throwing in whatever sounded good at the time. To the best of my recollection, this is what I came up with.

1 package of maple bacon
2lbs of pork sausage
3 marisol chiles
1 cup of of shredded, sharp cheddar
caramelized onions
a few cloves of garlic, sautéed
and of course, extra bacon for the center, cooked until soft.

Threw on a little salt and pepper for good measure, wrapped in plastic, and stuck it in the fridge overnight. Took it out the next morning to get a little closer to room temperature, then stuck it in the smoker at around 225 for 4-5 hours. It could have been taken off sooner, but my digital thermometer crapped out on me and I wanted to make sure it was completely done.

My camera phone is pretty god awful, but hopefully everyone can make sense of these pictures.

All wrapped up and ready to go in the fridge

All in all, pretty happy with the results. The food turned out a lot better than the pictures, haha.

Well, can't say the scotch hurt....sounds and look darn good ta me!
Nice job on the fattie...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Ha! Don't you hate that? You sure know what you're doing at the time but...Next day, just can't completely remember what you threw in. Sure it tasted good, I can actually make out a nice pink ring on the sliced pic, I think.
Thanks for sharing, got me itching for a fattie now.

Thanks guys! I'd really like to shake the hand of whoever came up with the original fatty. They are pure genius! I blew a lot of friend's minds over the weekend....."you mean its WRAPPED in bacon, AND there's bacon inside of it?!?!". Ahh, good stuff. The only problem was that it went so fast, I only got one slice.

looks great !

dont ya hate it when....
"cook it just like you did a month ago, you know.. with the stuff"

"what?... you mean the weekend we killed that half gallon?"

"yeah"

"hahahahaha i remember meat, smoke, whiskey, beyond that yer on your own"

LOL
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky