my first fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

teacup13

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 22, 2007
Sault Ste Marie,ON
after reading for so long about a fattie, i decided to try one... i am not a big fan of breakfast sausage unless its in biscuits and gravy...

we used a Bob Evans Zesty Spicy one, it didnt lose alot of spice
icon_razz.gif

gotta say that this is my favorite way to prepare them and the missus agrees...these are so good

You just never look at breakfast sausage the same after you smoke a fatty!
Yet to try Bob Evans, but it's coming. Yours looks really good.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Teacup....I never would have guessed that ,that was your first fatty ? ...I am goin to have to make my own FATTY.. since I can't even buy one in my corner of the world !! glad you enjoyed it though ..I will get to makin some sausage soon and try one myself !
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I made a run by the Commissary (Navy grocery store) Friday just to see if they had briskets or tri tips - they usually have grade B meat whatever that means so I only buy the chickens.

Anyway they had these Bob Eveans sausages and I had never heard of them but they were HUGE! Must have been 16 inches long! Same thickness, but really long. I almost bought one to try but they didn't have them in HOT so I didn't. I really like the JD hot ones.

Are they anything like Jimmy Dean sausages?

Debi:

on the pkg it says " pork,ham & tenderloins included." i saw the big chubs of sausages as well but wanted to try a smaller version first...

as for difference, yes i think Bob Evans is actually a little better quality than JD, when you eat this sausage, the texture seems like a good homemade sausage.. one word.. meaty

T-bone Tim:

thanks for the compliment.... i am getting to know my smoker better, the last couple of smokes were strictly charcoal and not propane like usual...

Peculiarmike:

i always us JD's for biscuits and gravy... i have just been converted to Bob Evans because i really like the texture and taste of the sausage.. makes me feel like i am eating real meat not who knows what you get in a sausage

Teacup-

Although it's easier I think you'll like the flavor better with charcoal. You'll also get a better smoke ring. That's all I ever used in my All-in-One. The propane is good to start the coals with! Get about 6 or 8 going and when they start to turn grey - push them to the side and add more charcoal to the middle and put the hot ones on top. Works great and last quite a while. Put your wood to the outside edges so it doesn't get a lot of heat and they'll smolder nice and slow

We love fatties here. Yours look so good. We always use fatties to fill extra space in the smoker and freeze the extras for later. Congrats on such a successful smoke.

I just tried my first fattie today. I put it in with my pork shoulder early this morning, I will admit I was apprehensive about trying one, for whatever reason it didn't sound good. Boy was I wrong! It was awesome, I used JD regular covered in me favorite rub. Very good breakfast!!!!

nope that was my meatloaf...

my first fattie, i left it neked,,, sprayed with some apple juice/coke/Franks hot sauce

Looking good Teacup!!! Throw a couple of them on next time now that you know you like them. They freeze great, and make for a fantastic breakfest on the weekends with some eggs and cheese grits!!
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky