My first Butt with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking weights

Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Oklahoma
Hey all,

I finally decided to create an account here after reading for 6 months. I appreciate the wealth of information that we have here.

I did my very first smoke ever about 3 months ago. It was a 12lb brisket and it was great. Since then I've done more brisket, pork loin, and whole chickens. I've been very pleased with everything so far.

I decided it was time to try my hand at a pork butt. I picked up a nice one on Thursday. I trimmed it up a bit and applied some rub to it yesterday. I used a combo of "Rub some Butt" and "Sweet Rub O' Mine". I put it on the 40" MES this morning at 9:00am. I used some apple chips with a small hunk of hardwood coal. I set the MES on 260* and let it do its thing.

I didn't open the door till the 4 hour mark, that's when I usually insert my two digital therms into the meat. This is what it looked like 4hrs into the smoke.

I didn't open the door again until the temp hit 198* IT. This was about 11hrs into the smoke. Here is what it looked like just before I pulled it off the smoker.

I pulled it, double wrapped it, and put it in a towel and into the cooler to sit for an hour. I am currently 15 min into that hour and I'm excited to see how it tastes. I saved some of the juice from the drip pan to use on the meat after its pulled. I'll post some pics during the pulling process and let y'all know how it goes.

Happy smoking,

I have zero complaints!! It is excellent! The bark was good. The flavor was good. It pulled very easy. All in all, I'd say it was a success.

Great looking bark on that butt ! Bet it was great. One tip (that I was given as a newbie!) Wrap that drip pan in foil. Clean up is SO much easier! Mike

drool.gif

MAN-O-MAN.......that looks great.

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky