my first build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've already done some work on it. Its going to be a 60gal rf. I made the firebox a tad on the large side in case I wanted to add a wormming box. Fb is 20x18x18. I guess if its too big I'll add some fire brick to take up some volume.

Nice start to a nice smoker. Don't worry about the fire box being to big. You just don't throw that extra log in 
sausage.gif
. To small of a fire box and you would have trouble. Keep the pics coming.

Happy smoken.

David

I do have a one question. For now. I don't have a lot of 1/4 inch plate left. I have about 20" or so by 20". Was wandering if I could put that at the fb to cc opening and then add 1/8" to it or wait till I have enough 1/4" to build the rf plate all the way across.

Next is to cure it and then install the rf plate.

I do have a one question. For now. I don't have a lot of 1/4 inch plate left. I have about 20" or so by 20". Was wandering if I could put that at the fb to cc opening and then add 1/8" to it or wait till I have enough 1/4" to build the rf plate all the way across.
IMHO I woulld wait and use all 1/4inch. would hate to have troubles down the road.
Keep Smokin!!!
Wolf

You have a nice smoker, I would wait, you wont be sorry

Gary

Thanks. Just getting a little hungry for some BBQ. Guess I'll try and get some tomorrow.

My question is. Is 8" into the cook chamber with a 1" gap good enough or do I need to extend the plate in more?

Anyone? And is it just to keep direct heat off the rf plate?

I suggest extending it farther, with perforations so the exhaust isn't all released at one point.

Man if I had some serious money I would re-create my junior high school metal shop. I love dinking around with fabricating metal.

Got the intake done and the exhaust done today. And I was given a full truck load of hickory. I'd say today was a good day.

well I got the rf plate in still need to build the cooking grate. Thought I'd do a high temp test run. All I have to say is wow. Got "Frankensmoker" as my wife calls it, up to temp 300° give or take. Got it stable. And then just waited. It held 318° so long at one point I thought my wireless thermometer had gone bad. It held in that range for 3.5 hrs and only put four logs on. It would have gone longer but I had all the info I needed to do a turkey so I went to bed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky