My First Buckboard Bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 17, 2009
Hendertucky, Nv.
Well after searching high and low for a few boston butts that weren't enhanced I am on the road. I have the Hi Mountain BB kit. I have it now in the fridge doing it's thing. It says to leave it for 10 days, flipping it after 5 days. Should i flip it daily or just once like the box says.

Glad ya found the butts and got it started. I use the Hi Mountain most of the time and I flip daily after a couple days but honestly don't know that it matters which way you do it

Glad ya found the butts and got it started. I use the Hi Mountain most of the time and I flip daily after a couple days but honestly don't know that it matters which way you do it
Sounds good, I'll go with that. I was gonna add some extras to it but figured I'll  K.I.S.S. this one. Thanks.

I didn't use the kit but when I did mine I flipped them daily. I think that is what most people do.
I figured so but I just wanted to be sure. Now the hard part, waiting 10 days.
icon_neutral.gif

cool.gif

I'm with Jerry (pineywoods) on this one and I flip flop and rub a dub dub everyday too. I don;t know if it matters but I do it anyway. It make me feel like I'm helping it. So when everyones tries it and says how good it is then after it's all said and done I can say "An I Helped"

When I was using the Hi Mountain kit I just followed the instructions to the letter and it worked out fine. No need to flip or rerub everyday unless you want to.

I flip flop every day and even rub it a little bit......

Pays off in the long run.

Todd

Meateater,

I just noticed this thread. Thought I should mention, whether it means a lot or not, Don't go by Hi Mt's temps for curing. Keep it between 36˚ & 40˚.

Bear

Hey Meateater,

I was in a hurry earlier, so my comment was very short. Many of us agreed that Hi Mts curing temp was a bit high. I would stick to the old 36˚ to 40˚ curing temp. I try to keep it 37˚/38˚.

The other thing is make sure you do the salt test after curing, before smoking. Others didn't seem to have a problem, but Hi Mt's mix is the only one I ever had to soak more than 1/2 hour after rinsing, so test it first while you can still do something about it.

AND ------I know I don't have to tell you----DFTQV !!!

Bear

Hey Meateater,

I was in a hurry earlier, so my comment was very short. Many of us agreed that Hi Mts curing temp was a bit high. I would stick to the old 36˚ to 40˚ curing temp. I try to keep it 37˚/38˚.

The other thing is make sure you do the salt test after curing, before smoking. Others didn't seem to have a problem, but Hi Mt's mix is the only one I ever had to soak more than 1/2 hour after rinsing, so test it first while you can still do something about it.

AND ------I know I don't have to tell you----DFTQV !!!

Bear
I must be slacking, I just saw this post. Yeah I keep the fridge alot cooler than they say, remember I got High Life in there.
icon_mrgreen.gif
 Thanks for reminding me on the salt test, I would have forgotton that part. I will be smoking it wednesday and will have plenty of pics, that's 50% of the fun. I'm ready to go hunting for a belly already.
icon_cool.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky