My First Boston Butt QView!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by powerpig, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Started this morning with a Memphis Style rub and put it in around 10am. It didn't reach 190 until around 11pm. This thing took forever in my MEB at 225. Spritzed it with apple cider vinegar about once every 90 minutes. Came out with a nice bark and didn't taste half bad! Next weekend.....Smoked Meatloaf!

2. homebrew & bbq

homebrew & bbq Smoking Fanatic

Looks like ya done good!!! [​IMG]

Are you happy with the flavor? I'm not sure how to read "not half bad". [​IMG]

3. smokeys my pet

smokeys my pet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good from here. Half bad whats that mean? Good luck with the meatloaf, it will cook A LOT faster.

4. twistertail

twistertail Smoking Fanatic

Looks really good to me. Nice bark on there. Did you wrap it in foil?

5. triple b

triple b Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Looks good to me as well!!
    [​IMG]
    Your meatloaf will cook a lot faster.

6. gramason

gramason Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Looks good, pork takes forever, but its sooooooo worth it.

7. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Heh Well, it looks less than one quarter bad to me...err...wait... ahh heck! Anyway, have you read about the mustard base many use on meats before applying rub? Also, was the meat a little dry? Did you either foil the meat, or collect the juices for a finishing sauce? Foiling does a GREAT job of juice collection. What temp did you pull it at?

8. Didn't want to brag being a newbie, but it tasted great! Very moist. I didn't wrap it and didn't use the juice because I smoked a fatty also. I've used a mustard rub before with ham and had good results. Horseradish mustard gives the best taste IMHO. I'm working my way up to doing a prime rib roast for New Year!

9. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

powerpig, that looks wonderful! Way to go![​IMG]

10. hawgheaven

hawgheaven Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good from here, keep it up! [​IMG]

11. monstah

monstah Meat Mopper

Nice work, looks great!

12. pescadero

pescadero Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Well this looked great.

I hope your Prime Rib IS half bad, then you can give it to me. [​IMG]

Skip

13. brianj517

brianj517 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That looks Spectacular, friend! Great Job![​IMG]

Cheers,
    Brian

14. Looks great Powerpig...thanks for the Q-view. You MUST take pics when you do the prime rib!! [​IMG]

Steve

15. glued2it

glued2it Master of the Pit

I say that looks really good! you did a great job. is it me or or does that butt look kinda oblong? None the less it looks like you been smoking them awhile instead of looking like a first[​IMG] I love pulled pork!

here's some of my procedures, tips and tricks you may know some of them but I'll throw them out there .
    rub
    I throw a little rub on and rub it in real good. Get all the cracks and crevices. Then I'll dust some more I let it sit for about 10min to let the moisture soak in the rub. I like to remove what's dry and then wrap it with saran wrap and put it in the fridge.I like to leave in 12hrs if I have time. When you unwrap it it smells so good.
    Foiling
    As per most of us we wrap it in foil when it reaches 160º internal temp at this point I finish it in the oven If I'm only doing one. If I do multiple then I keep it on the smoker. Once you foil it you cooking with convection so it doesn't really matter. Oven saves fuel!
    injecting
    when I put it in the oven I sit it in a pan to catch the juices for beans and what not. I'll take my meat pump and pull some of that juice and pump it. About 1.5oz for a 8#r @ 175-180º.
    I hope this may be helpful

Be sure post Q-Views of that meatloaf!

16. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Nice job Pig! Looks like a drool waiting to happen! [​IMG]

17. devolutionist

devolutionist Meat Mopper

NIIIIIIICE!!! [​IMG]

Oh how I love pulled pork!

I usually use just apple juice for the spray though, but I bet that super acidic cider vinegar did a great job on that bark!

18. devolutionist

devolutionist Meat Mopper

BTW, I don't know if anyone talks about the actual composition of the QView pics around here much, but I've got to say that it's really interesting the way you took these pics - all from the same angle, framed the same way. Interesting to see how the meat progressed for you.

19. seaham358

seaham358 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice smoke!!! Looks real good. keep the pics coming.. I'm interested in the prime rib smoke also.. I have been thinking of trying one also, but I have put it off........

20. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Hey Power Pig if that was half bad, I damn sure wouldn't mind having the half that was bad. That sucker looked GOOD!!!!