My first birds...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bestee

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Did my first chickens over the weekend. Took about 3 hours at 225. They did not last too long. Although I had to throw the thighs back on the grill afterwards, cuz they were a touch shy of being done. Breast couldn't have come out any nicer. I used Jeffs rub, and was very happy. Smoked with Cherry, and it worked real well. Next time I may halve the chickens to see if I get get a more even cook.
302cafbd_vbattach14484.jpg

e2e4b50e_vbattach14485.jpg

Try smokin' till internal temp hits 170*, instead of just going by time. SMOKED CHICKS IS THE BOMB!

I pulled em at 165....next time will leave em longer.

Thanks, will def. do that...I had previously read to measure in breast. I brined overnight, that was great.
But I gotta ask...what in the world is spatchcock?

Another idea for doing chickens is to smoke them setting on a beer can. I did a couple a few weeks ago & they seemed to be done very evenly.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

There's a great link to a how-to YouTube video around here somewhere. Basically what spatchcock is: take some poultry shears and cut down either side of the backbone, cutting it completely out. Take the bird and flatten it out. Do a search. You can take it a little further by cutting out the keel bone and making yardbird in to two halves too.

Nice chickens Bestee! Chickens are amazing brined and smoked! There good just smoked too but do up a brine and add your favorite spices and mand them birds will be doing the chicken dance!

Thanks Steve...was always wondering how they split em in the shops...whill do that next time and measure the thigh.
This site is so helpful...I love it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky