My first Beer Can Chicken w/ QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

titus0327

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
North Tonawanda, NY
I tried my hand at my first two smoked Beer Can Chickens. One I injected with Creole Butter and then rubbed with some Winners Circle Hot & Sweet Rub. The other I injected with Roasted Garlic & Herb and rubbed with Jeff's rub. Before I rubbed the birds I put on some EVOO in an attempt to crisp the skin (as previously suggested). Both birds were right around 4.5# and were cooked at 250* for about 4 hours, when I pulled them at 165.* I was really tring to get the skin crisp so for the last 20 minutes or so I wanted to cook at 350* but I could only get my smoker up to ~300.* I also sprayed them with apple juice every 30-45 mins or so, again as previously suggested, as I heard the sugars would carmelize and help crisp the skin too. Anyways, I couldnt get the skin crisp enough for my liking, oh well, it was still delicious. I only gave them ~1 hr of smoke (apple and cherry), as I was having my folks over for dinner and my Mom doesnt like the real heavy smoke flavor as much as my old man and I do. Well here are some pics, enjoy!!!

The injections and rubs.

All rubbed up and ready for some smoke.

Some TBS.

Ready to pull.

Creole Butter injection and Winners Circle Hot & Sweet Rub.

Roasted Garlic & Herb injection with Jeff's rub.

Pulled and ready to cut.

Thanks for looking.

Congrats on the first yard bird they look wonderful and delish too.
points.gif
for your first time for sure.

good looking grub there man

just picked up a can holder cant wait to use it

thinking about using a can of cherry dr pepper
tongue.gif

Great loooking birds- I have been doing them this way for years and love the way they come out- If you did not get as crisp a skin as you wanted you can also throw them on the grill for a few minutes at the end to crisp up. Nice job and points to ya for your first bird successs
points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky