My first bacon.. can't wait to do some more..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
I picked up 4 fresh pork bellies from a local smoke house, 39.35 lbs. They were skinned and individually vac sealed.
I froze 3, and only dry cured one as I've never attemped bacon before.
I cut the belly in thirds to fit in the fridge better, and so they will fit my cabinet smoker. I really need a project fridge.... Measured out the cure #1, salt and dark brown sugar. Rubbed and in zip lock bags for a couple weeks.

Rinsed, dried and cut a piece for a fry test. Perfect. Into the fridge for a couple days to form a pellicle. Rubbed one of the pieces with course black pepper. Then into the smoker for the first round of Hickory smoke.

After 2 rounds of smoke and a day or two rest between them, I cut a slice, ok 3 slices, and fried 'em up to see if I wanted more smoke.
And decided on one more round. 24 total hrs of smoke, and all sliced up ready to be vac sealed.

Gotta say, it's a lot of work, but wow is it worth it. Some of the best bacon I've had, and it's wife approved. :yahoo:

That is some meaty looking Bacon nice job.

Richie

points.gif

Lookin good! You do realize though your are now an member of bacon anonymous, you are addicted and there is no 12 step program that can help you. Be grateful you have the brides approval.

<chuckles>

You did good, congrats.

Thanks guys. I'm looking on CL for a cheap 2nd fridge befor I start the other 30 lbs. All the deals are too dang far away.

Thanks for the points. Thumbs Up

Last edited:
I did some a few months ago that I screwed up. I did what the butcher down the street said to do and used his cure called sweeter then sweet. Fome said I cooked it. It looked like bacon smelled like bacon but it was like shoe lather when I fryed it up. Now I am wondering what to do with it. It does taste good. I plan on trying it again but this time I have pink cure #1 and Fome's instructions.
Does anyone have any idea of what to do with the 10 lbs I messed up?

Mix some with your venison grind up meat. Add some to your Chili or other dishes like scalloped potatoes.

I did some a few months ago that I screwed up. I did what the butcher down the street said to do and used his cure called sweeter then sweet. Fome said I cooked it. It looked like bacon smelled like bacon but it was like shoe lather when I fryed it up. Now I am wondering what to do with it. It does taste good. I plan on trying it again but this time I have pink cure #1 and Fome's instructions.
Does anyone have any idea of what to do with the 10 lbs I messed up?

Use it in sausage, beans, etc...

Bacon is good in most anything!

Slice it about 1/4" thick and dehydrate some for a jerky.

Last edited:
As the rest of the guys said add the first lot to any future dishes, no such thing as a throw away bacon.

I'd give my left arm for pork belly like you brought such lovely meat and so little fat should be a winner. 

Done well.

Cheers from Down Under

Bear, disco, thanks for the points.

I had a lot of fun making this bacon. I'll be starting the next batch after thanksgiving.

Used some of that bacon that I messed up in a pot of beef stew.
I fry the beef chuck and onions in bacon grease. It took about 1 1/2 lbs of bacon to get enough grease to brown 4 pounds of Chuck and fry 2 pounds of onions and one pound of carrots. Of course I added the fryed bacon back into the pot.
Recipe:
3lbs beef chuck, I buy a chuck roast and cut it into 3/4" chunks.
1lb thick cut smoked bacon
2 medium onions corse chopped
1lb bag each of frozen small onions thawed, cut green beans, carrots thawed, peas,
One 8oz carton of fresh mushrooms sliced
3 pounds red potatoes pealed and cut to 3/4" chunks.
2 cups of strong brewed coffee I use Lebanese coffee
4 cups (32oz) beef stock
4 table spoons Worcestershire
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce plus a table spoon of the sauce.
4 tablespoons of dark molasses
2 tablespoons of liquid smok I use Stubs hickory.
4 tablespoons of chilli sauce.
Directions:
Season the beef chuck chunks with season salt pepper and I like to use grub rub on everything it make all meat tender and jucy, but I can only find it in Texas or on line.
Put the seasoned meat in a 2 gal zip lock bag with a 1/4 cup of flower and shake to coat.
In a large cast iron pot.
Brown on all sides in batches "brown not gray" and don't crowd.
Remove the meat to a dish and add the onions and fry to a golden brown scraping the bits and pieces off the bottom, add the carrots when the onions start to brown continue cooking for 10 min then add the mushrooms stir and cook until mushrooms look cooked about 5 min. Add the meat back to the pot, the coffee, beef stock, molasses, chili sauce, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, green beans, peas, potatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for up to 2 hours or until the meat is fork tender.

Reactions: mowin
I forgot to say chop the bacon fry it until crisp remove to a plate then add back into the pot with all the other ingredients. I have been making this stew go years and have come across no one that doesn't like it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky