1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

My First attempt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peter, Aug 20, 2006.

1. My first smokin experience was a success. I did a beef cross rib roast and a medidium size chicken.

I put together a powerpoint show and posted it to my webserver. Feel free to check it out. It is about 1 meg in size so it takes a few minuites on dial-up, but should be fast on high speed.

http://www.pcomt.com/smokin/

If you need the Powerpoint viewer, get it from here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Thanks for all the support and advice. I will try to be an active member and continue to post....

TTYL

2. icemn62

icemn62 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Great report and great visuals Peter,

I love the comment's from the BILs. Bother offering to build you a new smoker if they get to eat.

3. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good lookin' grub. I thought I saw a slight smoke ring on the sliced beef. I may have to try one of those roasts.

Regards,

Meowey

4. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That was a mighty nice presentation Peter :!:

What kind of fish was that. Sorry the Cajun in me has to know :oops: .

5. Thanks for the kind comments.

We just ate super and I can definately agree that it gains even more flavour as it sits in the fridge.

The fish in the last picture is a Northern Pike. It weighed in at about 12 1/2 pounds and measured at 92 cm or better yet 36 inches. We commonly call this fish a Jackfish or many other slang names, such as slough shark, swamp corc, hammer head, etc.

It is a very common fresh water fish here and very agressive, most consider it a junk fish. A lot of folks around here would not even eat such a delicious fish (which leaves more for me and those who do). (I still remember the first time I came acroos a red lobster resturant. It was in College Station, Tx. The special on the menu was fresh Northern Pike. You can't even get it here in a resturant!) It is not uncommon for them to reach 20 pounds or more, but they are hard to catch. I guess if they are smart enough to get that big....

The next cousin to this fish is a muskulunge. It looks almost the same, in fact looking at them, unless you knew the subtle differences, you probably wouldn't tell. However, If you caught a 12 1/2 pound musky, you would know it by the fight they put up. As they say down in your neck of the woods... Aiiii-eeeee!!!!

The family thinks I should try a full turkey next weekend. I may do so if I get a bigger smoker built in time.

Any advice on a turkey? Should I do it in pieces or do it whole?

Would the time be about the same- 1 1/2 hours per pound?

Thanks again

TTYL

6. riz9

riz9 Smoke Blower

Excellent work with the presentation!