My First attempt at smokin a butt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sneal10

Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Gallatin, TN
5d97120c_441A65B2.jpg

Looking good man....

i've done a few butt's myself and they have come out great...

tried different things and all have been great...

About a 14hr cook. WSM help temperature perfectly. All I did was went on the Virtual Bullet website and followed the "Renowned Mr. Brown" recipe and lit the charcoals using the "Minion Method." Can it really be this easy. I pulled the butts off and wrapped them in aluminum foil and let them sit in a cooler for a couple of hours. Can any of you pro's tell anything just by the picture? Any great rub ideas or sopping sauces? Thanks, I'm hooked!!

cool.gif

Your Butt looks real good and well done is also in order. Now for you finishing sauces there are several here if you look in the sauce and marinades in Wiki. Now I use alittle of one of my BBQ sauces. I make several of those too and their are a bunch in the same wiki. Now for the rub I have used a bunch of them and I change to keep things new I guess or I just get tired of using that one and start making another. Right now I have the recipe for Old Bay and add some brown sugar to it and it works really good on pork too.

??????????????? That looks good, but it dont look like no Butt I have ever seen. Too lean?

Looks like it was cooked at high heat, got a heck of a crust and rare, stuck in the fridge to cool and formed grease pockets on exterior.Just my honest opinion.  It looks like beef to me?
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif

Looks like it was cooked at high heat, got a heck of a crust and rare, stuck in the fridge to cool and formed grease pockets on exterior.Just my honest opinion.  It looks like beef to me?
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
Yeah,

But to me it looks too consistently pink--That's why I said it looks cured. Most times if it's rare, it's more pink in the middle than toward the outside, but cured is solid pink across the whole interior. Looks good though. I could get rid of some of that pink!

Bear

The make up (structure) doesn't look like a pork butt for sure.  Where are the tubes, the fat etc? 

A good rub?  I like Jeff's Naked Rib Rub, works great on a lot things and purchasing it helps support this site.

Mopps, I've been tweaking mine and this last butt I used a 2 to 1 mix of apple juice and cider vinegar and I was very pleased with the results.  The family also thought it was the best tasting one to date.  I also like to keep SoFlaQuer's Finishing Sauce on hand too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky