My cute little butt in a snowstorm (6 pounder just for me) with Q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hhookk

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2007
Saugus, Massachusetts
I decided to end my Christmas vacation in style. Cooked a small butt in the snow today. Lets go.................

Marinated it overnight in a mixture of coca-cola, brown sugar, Tony C's, garlic powder, black pepper and a splash of vinegar.

Rubbed it with Bone Suckin Rub

Boiled the marinade...

...and added it to a small foil pan with a bed of diced onion, 6 large cloves of crushed garlic and a little more rub.

Then put the butt on a rack over the pan.

Popped her on the smoker just like that and let her go for 3 hours.

Brady patiently waiting for a taste.

This is going to take forever :-(

3 hours lated she looked like this. At this point it was getting windier and hard to maintain temp so I decided to finish her in the oven.

I also took it off the rack at this point and placed the butt directly in the pan on the bed of onions.

A few hours later and she's done. Took on a weird shape at the end, but it didn't make a difference in flavor.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Couldn't resist. Now wrapped in foil, then a towel, then a blanket and in a cooler for an hour.

Next I took the onion, garlic mixture and put in the blender and blended it smooth and strained thru a cheese cloth to get a nice smooth liquid.

Added a few things from here plus some more coke and brown sugar.

Starting to pull. Looking good so far.

All pulled. Man it was hard not to stand there and eat it all at once. My only regret was there wasn't more.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to all
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Congratulations on a successful smoke - glad to see you are happy with the end product

Looks real good, it's been almost 3 months since I had some pork, and looks like it'll be 3 more. I like looking at the qview though.

Charlie

Looks Great, however I think the dog is gonna sell your secret recipe...

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

(Paul-The dog can keep a secret, trust me.)

Time to heat up the leftovers for supper.
icon_smile.gif

You did a fine job there Doug. I really don't like to finish in the oven but sometime you have to do what you have to do.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
anyway.

I'm not really a fan of the oven finish either (it feels like cheating) but I had to, it was getting too windy to keep it outside.
Thanks for understanding
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

(Leftovers were delicious tonight)

Then wish me luck.... I'm smokin for a party in 11* weather on Sat. BUTTS, so I'll be hoping I can keep a hot fire going..

I find it's not really the cold as much as it's the wind thats the killer. It tends to suck the heat right out of the smoker. Put up a wind break or get a thermal blanket to wrap your smoker in and you'll do fine. Good luck and don't forget to post your q-view :-)

Good looking Butt Doug. I've only done one smoke so far, but after seeing all the posts on here of different things to do, I asked my wife to bring home some meats to smoke. She picked up some rib slabs, whole chickens, and a Boston Butt(my only request-for some pulled pork). I had seen some large butts on here, 9-12 lbs, but she picked up a small 4.5 lb one. I said "you bought a baby" !! Oh well, I guess I'll start out with that, and get bigger next time. I hope it comes out as well as yours.

LOL, I noticed that too. It says pork if you look close enough. The K is kind of funky looking.
icon_redface.gif

Thanks Jim. It was as good as it looked. Actually it was my first true pork butt too. I did a small pork roast once ,but it definitely wasn't a butt. I do mostly ribs and chicken, and a pork tenderloin once in a while.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky