My Crazy Short Rib Adventure...Now with Qview...JJ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
First off my computer died, so I have to borrow my daughters tiny Notebook 'puter...BIG fingers...tiny buttons...So It may take time to load Qview.

I wanted to smoke some short ribs and try a new Rub and Texas Dip sauce i have been working on. I told my wife I would order 10 pieces of Short Ribs, about 8 pounds, from my favorite butcher at a cost of $ 3.55 a pound.  Bev complained that nobody wanted to drive the 1 hour round trip to the butcher and would check them out at the local Grocery. The store did not have any so she checked at work, Bev is the Asst Purchasing Mgr for the local Hilton Hotel. Her boss told her that she was in luck as they had just received 70 lbs that morning and she could take what she wants and they would square up the following week. There was great celebration! These babies were beautiful...They got a good coat of Rub and into the fridge for 24. We also got a rack of Babybacks because the kids never had beef ribs and wanted a backup. I started to run a session of 3-2-1 on all but timing issues turned the job into a 4-2-0. All meats came out beautiful looking and rested while Cheffie Daughter Casey finished the sides and setup the Plate Stylizing for Qview. I'm going to miss her, she went back to the CIA on monday.

We all sat down to eat...the Babybacks were Amazing, best I have ever made! The SR were tasty but had the texture of Roast Beef, edible but far from tender! What was not on the plates went back into foil pans with a good dose of Texas Dip and back into the oven at 225*F for another hour. Since we ate the other stuff the SR's went in the fridge to be eaten tomorrow.

SO...Bev went to work today and calls a couple of hours later FREAKING OUT!!!

The invoice from the Hiltons meat distibutor came across her desk and the price per pound for Custom cut, 12oz, 3 bone, cross cut Short Ribs is....$ 13.95 PER POUND!!!!!   WTF!!!

Bev finds her boss to figure out if this is a mistake or "KOBE BEEF" or what? He tells her no it is Choice but because of the rush order they made for an event they did, that was the correct price.

The Lesson...Stick with the Butcher you know and trust! To save 1 hour travel and a couple of gallons of gas,an OK Short Rib Dinner cost me...$111.60 just for the MEAT!...JJ

Last edited:
Sure hope they taste good!

Since your hi rolling, might as well get a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue to go with it.

And a couple of Cuban cigars!

no way Hilton paid that......what did they charge the function they hosted $39 a pound?  Anyway, sorry you had to pay that......

how about sharing your new rub recipe?

Al, Who has money for JW Blue and Cubans after cracking this nut...It's a 6 of Old Mil' and a Stale Cigarette, if they're on sale!

Scott, He didn't know the price until today either. The Chef placed the rush order without inquiring about price!...JJ

Zoinks, I would have freaked also.   
icon_eek.gif

Ok here goes, I got help... The meat...

375da8fc_SDC12528.jpg

Last edited:
The site must be really busy! It keeps telling me there is an error loading more Qview...I will try again later after all you OLD GUYS go to Bed!...JJ
blah.gif

Last edited:
Well I hear that if you try really hard you can taste the $$ per/lb. when you eat overpriced meats! LOL

Ouch! Maybe you could return them after your morning constitutional the next day?
laugh1.gif

I bet the Hilton gets a discount on those ribs. Used to work securing hotels with cameras and fire systems and the accounting is amazing

Ok more pics... The Minion method in perforated disposable pans, with KK's apple/cherry mix and some hickory....
62c0eaf2_SDC12567.jpg

It's 90* in the shade! I gots to keep cool some how!...
06d9db59_SDC12568.jpg

Three hours in the BB are foiled and them SRibs look nice...

97e787f6_SDC12570.jpg

Some eye candy for the BEAR...

13b5a7f3_SDC12572.jpg

MEAT AND MORE MEAT...

ad2beaa6_SDC12586.jpg

Some Baby Backs for my Brother Bear....

989f34bc_SDC12599.jpg

Bear's Eye view of the Short Ribs...

e3ebcda0_SDC12597.jpg

The Chef's Plate...

6b494c69_SDC12601.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky