My awesome new year's resolution

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

capt orygun

Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Hey all, I'm Cam and I live in the Boulder Colorado area.  Originally from Oregon.

First of all, man was that scary:  you know how scary Googling "meat smoking" on the internet is?  I had no clue what would come back... luckily this was near the top.  That said.

My new year's resolution is to learn how to smoke a prime rib.

I am handy with a BBQ, propane or charcoal, doesn't matter.  I make grilled veggies, slow grill brauts so they don't explode, burn burgers, steak, shrimp on a stick, whatever you'd like.  I am ready to take the next step to smoking and I love to cook.

I am here because I figure I should know what I want to buy before I go throwing my money down.  I am leaning towards propane as I am in law school and less hassle=more use.  I am looking for something to learn on, I don't want to spend a lot on my first model.  As I will be using what Hank Hill calls a "clean burnin' fuel," I am also looking for advice on ways to make my meats have that awesome natural flavor that nobody has time for.  Advice on liquid marinade, rubs, and wood chips/pellets would be welcome.

Anyways, if someone could point me in the direction of some base models and some good recipes for me to start out with it would be cool.

Or you can just flame me... always a popular choice.

Thanks!

welcome1.gif

Glad to have you aboard Cam.

Recently I bought my first smoker and I went for a gasser.  I liked the fact that I could to some extent set it and forget it and I could also have a wide range heat I could put into the meat.  I have a GOSM and I've been real happy with it.  Fortunately there are lots of good choices out there and a ton of info on this site.

Curt.

Hello Cam 
welcome1.gif
to SMF . You came to the right place there is a lot of great info here to help you

Please do us a favor and update your profile with your location 

Thanks 

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF.

Gas is incredibly easy & convenient, so it is a good choice in your situation.  It provides a lot of flexibility as Andy said in his post.  

welcome1.gif
 to SMF Cam. You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. I suggest you take  the 5 day e-course on smoking its chuck full of great info.Smoking Basics 5-Day eCourse

One item you must have regardless of what smoker you get is a good thermometer. The Maverick ET-732 has good reviews and may be a good place to start.

For your smoker you might like what I use the most. The MF (Master Forge) 2 door LPG(propane) unit that Lowe's sells. It is a GREAT smoker for the price.  LINK

Lowe's also has a newer model that has a side shelf and says you can use charcoal as well as propane, I don't know anything about this unit, and my local Lowe's does not have it in stock yet, so I have not been able to look at it yet. Link

Master forge has GREAT customer service from my experience. 

Another good smoker, 1 I also have is the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) it is a charcoal smoker, but a good smoker out of the box. It comes in 2 sizes an 18" and a 22" I have the 18". 18" LINK    22" LINK

For smoke I personally use a mix of Lump, Chunks, and chips. Hand full of lump in center of pan chunks around that and chips filling in. My normal wood choice is Hickory chunks, and apple chips.

Another good source of smoke is the A-Maze-N smoker. I do not have 1 yet but will very soon. People here swear it's the cat's meow for smoke. LINK 

As for your recipes, and such just do a search there are way too many to suggest, as every ones taste is different. At the top of the page if you click forum there is a drop down menu, you can scroll threw that for different meats and such. 

Feel free to ask questions we are only too happy to help. 

Welcome to the SMF Family...I'm a Watt Burner. When I was doing my research I was looking hard at the Landmann Propane Smokers here is some to look at but search around for a better price...I would also stick with the new design that has the Thick Plastic side handles and door handle, the leftover model have Metal handles...JJ

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ds=landmann+smoker&sprefix=landman,garden,212

Also if you decide to go Landmann/Gosm...Contact Fishwrestler...Robert is a good guy, a Member and a West Coast Distributor. Here's what he has to say on Landmann...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/109777/new-landman-gosm-big-block-review

Last edited:
Welcome to the family, ready to begin your newest obsession?  Once you decide on your first smoker, make sure you post about it and take lots of Qview (pics) of it and your smokes; we excel at drooling!  You can find information on here about keeping a smoking log of all your smokes; it makes it so much more enjoyable to record the details to refer back to quickly; inch by inch anything's a cinch, by the yard it's always hard!  I totally agree on "less hassle = more use"!  (Great Notes = Don't Need Memory!).  Also, this is a family-friendly forum, we all work hard on being helpful and respectful of others and we'd never flame you, you don't have to worry about that at all!  We respect all that you contribute and don't ever be afraid to ask any questions, we are here to help; the only bad question is the one never asked!  Please, have fun, enjoy yourself and the forum, and Welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF! Glad to have you with us!

Would you please update your profile info to include your location. Thanks!

Sounds like you found the right place.  As far as flamming That don't happen around here, just good advise and polite pointers
icon14.gif

LoL yea googling smoking meat could be bad.  But not here you will hear "nice lookn butt" or " hey that a nice lookn PP"
icon_lol.gif
 , or "what kind of rub are you using"

Welcome to your new addiction...Pops nailed it with the record keeping, it makes it much easier to tweak recipes to your taste.  and of course 
th_nopicsye3.gif

Welcome I am new to this site too and already have learned lots.

I suggest an electric smoker and am happy with the smokin-it model1 they also have 2 bigger units model2 and Model 3 www.smokin-it.com

for the price you can't go wrong and it is a quality smoker built to last all stainless steel and well insulated you can touch it and it isn't even hot after 12 hours of smoking.

Welcome to SMF glad you can join us.  We are big on Pics and love to help everyone out.  Remember the only question that is dumb is one not asked.  You will not find a friendlier place to talk Que on the web.

You are going to fit in just fine.

icon_cool.gif

First off welcome to SMF there Cam. You'll really like this place for there are a bunch of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking meat. Then if you have any questions you just post them here or yu can try in chat for a faster answer. If you are really new to all of this I would recommend that you look up and take the e-course. It is free and it will also give you the basics on smoking. So with all that said now go and get something to smoke.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky