My 99 cent corned beef with Q view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reinman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Well today is the day to turn my 99 cent a pound corned beef into pastrami. I soaked out the corned beef for about 8 hours yesterday, and then applied a rub with corriander, black pepper, brown sugar, paprika, garlic, and mustard seed last night.

Here they are wrapped up and going back to the fridge for the night.

And here they are at 9:30 this morning getting ready to go in the smoker.

I'll keep you updated.

Well we've been in for about 2 1/2 hours, and are at 126 degrees. Still have some nice smoke, so that makes me feel good. This time around I threw in some chunks of soaked hickory, and put some dry apple on top. The apple was coarse sawdust picked up from chainsaw cuttings. With smoke for 2 1/2 hours I'm guessing the apple started smoking pretty quick and the hickory kicked in later.

Just checked, at 4 1/2 hours we're at 154 degrees. It was 151 an hour earlier when I started mowing the lawn, so it went up 3 over the last hour.

Lookin good so far reinman. Are you spritzing?
Just did my last 2 corned beefs I had frozen the other day (still need to post that one) but I didn't soak them for nearly long enough. Only about an hour then did them up, big mistake, they were realllllyyyyy salty.
Good luck with yours, can't wait to see the end result.

Very very nice so far! Looking forward to the end and the eating
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

At the 6 hour mark we hit 165 degrees. I didn't do any spritzing. Didn't open the door to the smoker till it was time to take them out.

They are now foiled and in the oven. Can't wait to slice one and see what I got.

Pulled them out at 195 and tented in foil and a towel to rest.

Wasn't very salty, so they came out pretty good. Looking forward to some good sandwiches.

great looking pastrami. I have the mustardand bread. So where are you again? I'm on the way

Fantastic looking pastrami. Congratulations. I've got a 4 pounder in the freezer waiting for a day I have the time to do it. You get points from me for this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky