My 1st build, a mini reverse flow smoker using a 40 pound propane tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

1961shasta

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Well I have decided to build a small Smoker that is portable for camping and such.

I am using a 40 pound propane tank.

I met a great guy today who does metal work and helped me with my fire box and cut some stuff for me, even gave me a lot

of cool free pieces. I would have liked the FB to be thicker (it's 1/8th inch, but it was free.

he even bent my baffle plate so the grease will drain to the center at the end,

I'm using 3 inch thick walled chrome exhaust tube for the chimney.

I got highly polished stainless I will use to line the CC door with, should look cool.

I've used the feldon calculator to get my measurements, my FB is only 10x10 which is 138% larger than what is required.

still got a lot do, and some more sciencing on this thing, any suggestions, comments, snide remarks?

Last edited:

Made a lot of progress, I got it sanded down, ground down the welds, cut the door and installed the hinges.also got the FB 80% done.

You get all that paint off with a wire wheel? I tried a wire wheel on mine yesterday and its gonna be a pain. Thinking about building a fire and burning mine off. Lol
1st I uses aircraft paint remover from Orileys auto parts and a metal putty/scrapping knife, that removed about 80% of it (still was a lot of work), then I used a plastic type paint removing wheel from lowes, it looks like a luffa thingy on a wheel about 1/2 inch wide. the wire wheel in the pic was for cleaning up welds.

Looks good I built the same size. I no longer use Feldons calculator I would recommend using Dave's calculator from the forum. 10x10 seams a littles small mine is quite a bit bigger and definitely use a longer stack than Feldons requires. I couldn't be happier how mine runs. Runs a lot better on charcoal With wood chunks then straight wood. I built a basket for mine. Started a 25 gallon build last week that I'll be posting when it's finished.

Looks good I built the same size. I no longer use Feldons calculator I would recommend using Dave's calculator from the forum. 10x10 seams a littles small mine is quite a bit bigger and definitely use a longer stack than Feldons requires. I couldn't be happier how mine runs. Runs a lot better on charcoal With wood chunks then straight wood. I built a basket for mine. Started a 25 gallon build last week that I'll be posting when it's finished.
 how big was your FB to CC opening?

Made some more progress, got the RF plate welded in the holes cut, and joined them together, added some legs, still need a chimney and a couple of handles on the air vents and my door latch.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky