My 14.5 hr pulled pork(1st time)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meat~smoker in n.j.

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
south river,
OK ,, @ 10 am yesterday I got the fire goin, @ 10:30 I placed but On grate (using professional chargriller..w/s.f.b.,,) I used hardwood lump charcoal & well seasond oak for the fire... I used apple& hickory soaking in water for the smoke,,,butt was rubbed down nite b/4, I also used et-73 so I can monitor temps !! Once I was set up & going I added a package of italian sweet sausage ,, when done I added 4-pcs. chicken leg quarters.. (soak in brine over nite)... I was also taking pics during this time,, untill my battery went low & had to put on charger ... bummed me out
icon_sad.gif
...the fire stayed A steady 240*...once i passed 100* i started to spritz with aj/capn. morg/little bit soy sauce mix..boy that butt is looking & smelling good
cool.gif
...well anyhow now it`s just the butt & the temps went up to 150* farily quick (in a few hrs.)..now the temps slow down...wow did it slow down !!! now it finally hit 165*,@ apprx 6pm b/4 that time I hadda think about transfer to oven so I fired up the gasser & got temp`s up to bout 250 .... now I double foil
keeping probe in .. added some juice over the top b/4 closing foil up & went inside the gasser... set up temp prope & start watching ... I had to get my big spot light out to see..it was dark out.lol.. now sit down have a cpl of drinks & watching tv...keep going out side every 1/2 hr to check ... geese this is going real slow now ... it even droped A few degrees... well anyhow @ 1 am it got to 200* finally lol.... ok wrap in towels & put in insulated cooler sat on couch waiting for the hr... dam I passed out , wife screams @ me to wake me up @ 3:30 am... dam I run into kitchen , get butt out & pull ,,, still real hot & juicy.. .. well it was 4am hadda get some shut eye... so in the fridge it goes,,, I will put out bbq sauce & possible do Jeffs finish sauce to reheat with in crock pot... sorry I dont have picks up yet to much to do yet b/4
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
comes over to eat bout 4:30 pm ... now it`s time to fire up again & get a slab of spares on !! we are having tons of food today with some good alchol ... I am ready for BIG BLUE GO GIANTS...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

14.5hours??? Was that a 20# butt?
Wow that seems like a long time.
Congrats on gettin' er' done!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You done good, you didn't get the temptation to crank the heat way up and force it done. You cook enuff butts, you will end up with cook like this once in a while.

Doncha hate it when the them plateaus...seems like hours for that last 10 degrees, especially in the middle of the night. I've left the sucker in the cooler for over 4 hours before. If ya got it in the foil, and wrapped in a few old towels, it'll keep warm for quite some time. I think it helps it re-absorb some of those yummy juices. Off to throw my loin in!

P.S. We're waiting for pictures here........

meat-n-smoker - good persistence on your first boston butt smoke!! I'm going through mine as well and that plateau is a pain to wait through! Thanks to reading the many threads on SMF about hitting the plateau I was prepared for the wait. Without the knowledge I'd start doubting myself as a smoker!!

Knowledge from the SMF family is much appreciated folks!!

Patience is the key to low & slow cooking. The meat's done when it's done. I've had several 7- or 8-pound butts go 12 to 15 hours and even one or two that took closer to 18.

Looking forward to your pics.

I'm hoping to try my first Butt this weekend. Is it going to take any longer to smoke two 7 pound butts? Time might become an issue, so should I stay with one of 7 pound butts?

Also how often should re-apply any rub? or should I at all? I don't want to raise the lid any more than I have to.

I smoked 2 butts after thanksgiving one was 8 1/2 lbs the other was 9 1/2 lbs. Took 21 hours to hit 200 deg F the outside temp at start was 42 deg F at finish 24 deg F those plateaus can be rough at times and I agree the last 10 degs or the longest.

The extra butt won't add a significant amount of time to your cook, you will probably go through a little more fuel than usual but that is about it.

No need to reapply rub IMO.

You guys are scaring me. I just picked-up (4) 7.5# butts for a party that starts at 4:00 on Saturday. I was going to start @ 10:00PM on Friday, but now I may start as soon as I get home from work.

Give yourself as much time as possible so you don't find yourself pacing towards the end when it's got 10 degrees to go.

I tried to get a 5.5# butt done on Super Bowl Sunday, in time for the game. Put it on at 10am. It didn't get done until 10:30pm and it still wasn't at 200! I pulled it off early cause I had to get up at 5am for work the next morning (complete smoke kill)! Internal temp was 185 so I sliced the meat instead of having pulled pork.

Next time I do one I'm giving myself at least 14 hours. Good luck, Grande!

Any of you guys smoke a picnic as opposed to a butt. I was unable to get a butt the other day but was able to pick up an 8# picnic for $.59 a lb. Is there much difference betweeen the two cuts? anything I need to look out for. Planning on doing my first one next weekend.

I have done both. I smoke both the same way. seems to me to be a little differant flavor, but I like both. If it is a bone in cut you will find a bone that goes from end to end.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky