Must use toothpicks (q-view)

Discussion in 'Fruit, Nuts & Vegetables' started by smoke_chef, May 20, 2008.

1. smoke_chef

smoke_chef Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Hello all,

Here are tonight's ABT's. I decided to conduct an experiment and see how well it works to cook the bacon without toothpicks. Not so good. In fact, I would say that you must use toothpicks. As you can see, several of my bacon slices ended up in my water pan. [​IMG]

Stuffed and ready for bacon

Bacon on and ready for the smoker

Out of the smoker and ready for my mouth. They don't look like much but they sure are tasty!

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Chef.......sorry..but have to laff in feeling your pain.......i do my abts the SAME way.........and yeap...........need the picks..........PLUS, they help with pulling them off the grill............SOMETIMES........LOLOL.......i have had the pick slide out.........

another tip, tho.........is to pre-cook your bacon JUST abit.........helps with the crispin up of the bacon........we fry just abit both sides........try it next time.......i think you will like them better..........

3. smoke_chef

smoke_chef Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

You would think that smoking the freaking appetizer to what you are "really" smoking would be easier than this. LOL There is a fine science to getting consistently great ABT's. Last time my bacon was burnt. This time the bacon needed to cook longer but my peppers were over cooked. The good news is... is even the "mistakes" still taste good.

I will try precooking next time though. Thanks WD.

4. What are those stuffed with, if you dont mind my asking

5. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Oatmeal..........[​IMG]

6. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I put the two halves together and then wrap with bacon. I haven't had to use toothpicks yet. It's all good!

7. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

SmokeChef - great visual toothpick lesson on ABTs. However, never admit defeat!! [​IMG] If someone asks you where the bacon went tell them the dog licked it off. Guarantees you at least those ABTs! [​IMG]