Must use toothpicks (q-view)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke_chef

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 22, 2008
Marble Falls, AR
Hello all,

Here are tonight's ABT's. I decided to conduct an experiment and see how well it works to cook the bacon without toothpicks. Not so good. In fact, I would say that you must use toothpicks. As you can see, several of my bacon slices ended up in my water pan.
icon_evil.gif

Stuffed and ready for bacon

Bacon on and ready for the smoker

Out of the smoker and ready for my mouth. They don't look like much but they sure are tasty!

Chef.......sorry..but have to laff in feeling your pain.......i do my abts the SAME way.........and yeap...........need the picks..........PLUS, they help with pulling them off the grill............SOMETIMES........LOLOL.......i have had the pick slide out.........

another tip, tho.........is to pre-cook your bacon JUST abit.........helps with the crispin up of the bacon........we fry just abit both sides........try it next time.......i think you will like them better..........

You would think that smoking the freaking appetizer to what you are "really" smoking would be easier than this. LOL There is a fine science to getting consistently great ABT's. Last time my bacon was burnt. This time the bacon needed to cook longer but my peppers were over cooked. The good news is... is even the "mistakes" still taste good.

I will try precooking next time though. Thanks WD.

I put the two halves together and then wrap with bacon. I haven't had to use toothpicks yet. It's all good!

SmokeChef - great visual toothpick lesson on ABTs. However, never admit defeat!!
PDT_Armataz_01_39.gif
If someone asks you where the bacon went tell them the dog licked it off. Guarantees you at least those ABTs!
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky