Multiple questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

johnsdurham

Original poster
Nov 18, 2022
I just picked up a barley used new Bruanfels vertical off set smoker. for 20 plus years all I have used are the small bullet charcole and water type smokers and this new soker is awesome. A few questions. So I started with a bag of Kinsford with a peice of pecan down first. Pour unlit charcol on to wood then dumped the lit charcoal on top of that. Worked great, I could adjust temp up or down. I put on a spiral ham and when I finished the cook I wanted to decrease the temp because I was finishing up with some crème cheese. Toward the end of the cook on the ham there was almost no smoke. When i cut both vents off to decrese the temp I got a LOT of smake. Whys is that? Also I used some small aluminum pans for the creme cheese. After they were finished i pulled them off and noticed a stickiness to the exposed bottom and side to that aluminum pan? Could that ne from the pecan of the charcole?

Reactions: JLeonard

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
You got a lot of smoke because you cut the air flow off. If you want to cool it down just open the door & close down the intakes. When it cools down to the temp you want & the smoke cleans up, then put the food in. The stickiness is from the thick white smoke.
Al

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
Not seeing smoke is a good thing. The smoke is still there flavoring the meat. Use smaller splits of wood and don't close the vents completely. Follow Al's advice.

Reactions: JLeonard

Hot Threads