Mozzarella Waiting Time ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

excalibur

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Sparks, Maryland
I have a chub of buffalo mozzarella that I'd like to smoke w/ the AMNS.  After I'm done smoking it, do I need to put it in the fridge for a few weeks like I do w/ cheddar or is it OK to eat sooner ?  For some reason, I thought I read that folks eat mozzarella and cream cheese sooner but I can't find that and wasn't sure I remembered correctly.

Also throw on a stick of butter. I have fallen in love with smoked butter.

So why don't you need to wait for the cheese to mellow?

Ross - for some reason I remembered that NY Deli's made and smoked the same day. I tried it once and it is perfect if you let the fresh (water packed) sit out and get a "skin" on the outside before you smoke it, you can eat it as soon as it cools

I have never tried making this but is tasty to eat...Interesting stuff called Scamorza Affumicata...A Smoked Aged Mozzarella, saltier and dryer than fresh Mozz....Lots of recipes around to Use the cheese but I can't seem to find one on how to Make it...JJ

Qx_jFdmonYZKM7vsROFAbQJ2KNHne4fB5tCCFUHjyWByMP8FMI.jpg

I have never tried making this but is tasty to eat...Interesting stuff called Scamorza Affumicata...A Smoked Aged Mozzarella, saltier and dryer than fresh Mozz....Lots of recipes around to Use the cheese but I can't seem to find one on how to Make it...JJ

Qx_jFdmonYZKM7vsROFAbQJ2KNHne4fB5tCCFUHjyWByMP8FMI.jpg
Here you go Jimmy 

Scamorza:
Scamorza is a low moisture mozzarella cheese that is firm in texture, has a dry, salty exterior and a wonderfully smooth interior. It’s perfect for melting applications. To make scamorza, fresh mozzarella cheese is repeatedly wrung out to expel excess whey before shaping. It is then brined in a heavy salt water solution for several hours and then hung to dry for 3 to 5 days in a temperature controlled environment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky