Mounting a Smoker on Trailer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jake

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I am in the process of building a offset smoker that is 24" x 48" with a 24" x 20" firebox, now this thing weighs around 900 lbs. and I want to mount it on a trailer, my question, I don't know how wide to make my trailer. I don't want it so wide that I can't reach the back of the smoker but not so narrow that its tippy. Would kinda like to have it on a 4' wide trailer offset to one side but think it would make the trailer do crazy things. Any suggestions?

Mine weights about the same and is offset. It tracks like a dream!! I'm not sure of the exact measurements but will try and remember tonight and drop you a note.

You could always mount it offset and if it did prove unstable add a wood box, or a cooler or something else behind it to balance it.

Ok, went out and measured everything for you. Cooker is 38 inches wide by 5 ft, 2in long. Trailer is 5 ft wide by 9 ft long. That doesn't include the hitch part and that adds another 4 ft to the length. Hope this helps you.

I'm fixin to post some pics of a smoker I saw for sale on the side of the road. Design your racks to slide out and you won't have to reach the back!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky