Morton TQ confusion....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
The Boss and I were looking at our schedule trying to figure out when we will be home when the bellies that are sitting in TQ are ready to go.
She was asking me some questions which led me to getting the bag of TQ out.
"Use 1 tablespoon TQ per pound of meat rubbing in thoroughly. Place in bag etc for 4 to 8 hours to cure, longer for larger or thicker cuts, up to 24 hours. For brine curing dissolve 1 cup of TQ in 4 cups cool water. Place meat in brine etc. Refrigerate and allow to cure 24 hours."

I have the Morton Home Meat Curing Guide, which states 7 days per inch of thickness. I am using the week per inch rule.

Is 24 hours really enough if it were in a brine?

What about when making Buckboard Bacon? The piece of Butt I am using is right at 4.5" thick...that means 4.5 weeks of curing, correct?

For anything thicker than 2 inches I inject and cure for 10-15 days. Never had any issues doing it this way.

Take the bone out of the butt now....  that leaves 2 slabs of meat...  In a brine, you have 2" sides + of a hunk of meat.....   the brine penetrates from ALL sides.....  so....  now your butt's about 2" thick.... 7 days penetration from each side...  

And NO you can't cure a piece of meat overnight... unless it is ground meat or 1/4" thick....

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have the Morton Home Meat Curing Guide, which states 7 days per inch of thickness. I am using the week per inch rule.

It does not read one inch per side, it reads 7 days per inch of thickness.  I read that to be a two inch thick piece will take 14 days to cure.

Go ahead and use the week per inch rule, you won't be sorry.

T

It does not read one inch per side, it reads 7 days per inch of thickness.  I read that to be a two inch thick piece will take 14 days to cure.

Go ahead and use the week per inch rule, you won't be sorry.

T
Am I reading something wrong? What you said is exactly what you quoted?

Am I reading something wrong? What you said is exactly what you quoted?
Many here use different recipes and techniques which can make it confusing.  Getting confused myself I was beginning to doubt myself, so Morton was contacted and the following was confirmed in this thread.  Please take the time and read it.  Calculating bacon cure time using Morton[emoji]174[/emoji] Tender Quick[emoji]174[/emoji] or Sugar Cure[emoji]174[/emoji] (Plain or Smoke Flavored)   If you still doubt it, give them a call yourself.

There are those who think this is incorrect and that's fine, they can continue on curing the way they think best.  I will continue on doing what Morton recommends because of the excellent results produced without any soaking or fry testing required.

Tom

Will be using what my copy of the Morton Home Meat Curing Guide suggests. "Cure at 36* to 40* for 7 days per inch of thickness."
So using that math the 4.25" piece of Pork Butt will be in the curing process for 31 days, which seems a bit excessive so perhaps I will call Morton for a suggestion?

Will be using what my copy of the Morton Home Meat Curing Guide suggests. "Cure at 36* to 40* for 7 days per inch of thickness."
So using that math the 4.25" piece of Pork Butt will be in the curing process for 31 days, which seems a bit excessive so perhaps I will call Morton for a suggestion?

Take the bone out and cure 2.... 2" thick pieces.... you have to take the bone out sooner or later.....

Somehow I missed you were curing a butt.  I would remove the bone as Dave O recommended then open it up and proceed with the 7 day rule unless Morton recommends diferently.  It would be interesting to learn what Morton recommends.

Take the bone out and cure 2.... 2" thick pieces.... you have to take the bone out sooner or later.....
Probably should have mentioned it is boneless, sorry about that. The piece that I ended up using is not the least bit severed, if that makes sense.

If you are not going to cut it in half.... Then you have to inject a cure solution.... Where the bone was, is FULL of bacteria and pathogens.... that hunk of meat is no longer and "intact muscle".....

If you are not going to cut it in half.... Then you have to inject a cure solution.... Where the bone was, is FULL of bacteria and pathogens.... that hunk of meat is no longer and "intact muscle".....
Please excuse my ignorance here. I am guessing that the piece of meat that I used was the area where the bone was not there in the first place, sort of looks like a cap of sorts. That being said it still needs to be separated or injected? That being said, keeping in mind I used TQ on it how would one go about injected it? Mix up a bit of brine per the instructions on the bag? If this will be the method how much TQ/water should be used?

Please excuse my ignorance here. I am guessing that the piece of meat that I used was the area where the bone was not there in the first place, sort of looks like a cap of sorts. That being said it still needs to be separated or injected? That being said, keeping in mind I used TQ on it how would one go about injected it? Mix up a bit of brine per the instructions on the bag? If this will be the method how much TQ/water should be used?
Listen to Dave and take his advice on this, even if he recommends aborting the project.

Tom

Did the package say "boneless butt" roast.... or "boneless shoulder" roast... or "boneless" picnic roast... Once it says boneless, someone stuck their knife in the roast and cut the bone out... That action, allows pathogens into the meat muscle...

Once you determine what type of hunk of meat it is, action needs to be taken... Read up on "brining" with TQ and injecting using it....
I don't use or know much about TQ.... OR, open it up and rub all sides.... You should be able to find the pocket where the bone was....

Last edited:
Did the package say "boneless butt" roast.... or "boneless shoulder" roast... or "boneless" picnic roast... Once it says boneless, someone stuck their knife in the roast and cut the bone out... That action, allows pathogens into the meat muscle...

Once you determine what type of hunk of meat it is, action needs to be taken... Read up on "brining" with TQ and injecting using it....
I don't use or know much about TQ.... OR, open it up and rub all sides.... You should be able to find the pocket where the bone was....

Was a boneless Pork butt....

Good to know..... Now you can put your knife in the pocket and slice outwards toward the thin section of remaining meat... all the way around the pocket.... Now you have 2 hunks of meat that you can "dry brine" with TQ in a zip bag or what ever... don't discard the liquid that seep out.... turn every day or 2 to redistribute the cure in the bag... in 14 days, rinse, dry and let sit in the refer for a couple days to equilibrate... then if a pellicle is in order, do it... smoke and eat...

Dave

Good to know..... Now you can put your knife in the pocket and slice outwards toward the thin section of remaining meat... all the way around the pocket.... Now you have 2 hunks of meat that you can "dry brine" with TQ in a zip bag or what ever... don't discard the liquid that seep out.... turn every day or 2 to redistribute the cure in the bag... in 14 days, rinse, dry and let sit in the refer for a couple days to equilibrate... then if a pellicle is in order, do it... smoke and eat...

Dave
Good info, Thanks Dave for your input and help.

Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky