Mornin' from Memphis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MattCats10

Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Good morning fine people!

I've been searching the forums for some time now and decided to finally take the plunge and post.

I bought a Chargriller 5050 last year with the SFB addition and am in the process of modifying after learning a little more about the smoker for the past few months. I've done the simpler mods like extending the vent to grate level and have added some angle iron around the CC to hold a gasket.

I have a gasket arriving today and plan to seal up the SFB door since I'm losing a lot of smoke/heat. And that brings me to my first of two questions: Does it matter if I use hi-temp RTV or rivets to attach the gasket to the door? Wasn't sure if one method was better than another.

Next question: Does it matter if you attach the gasket to the actual body of the SFB or to the door? I've seen pictures with it both ways, so wasn't sure if it was more of an aesthetics type thing or if there was reasoning behind one method or the other.

I searched around and couldn't find specific answers to either question so thought I'd ask directly.

This site has definitely saved me more times than I can count and I certainly appreciate all the great knowledge accumulated in one place.

Have a great one!
Matt

Matt, welcome to SMF! Glad you're here and finding help. I'm no use for your question, but someone should be along that might have the answer. There are a few duel fuelies as members.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Matt, welcome to SMF! Glad you're here and finding help. I'm no use for your question, but someone should be along that might have the answer. There are a few duel fuelies as members.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Thanks Ray! I've certainly enjoyed it so far and it's my go-to for any questions.

Hello! This is definitely a great place to be!

Most definitely agree!

Welcome to the forum!
Glad you decided to join the group!
I'm sure someone will be along shortly who has your setup, to answer your questions.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky