More Hoppin' John

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I did another batch of hoppin john while camping. Didn't cook it in an underground pit this time, just cooked it over a fire in a DO.

I crisped a few pieces of bacon...

Added onion, garlic, chopped peppers and celery (thanks to Dutch) to the bacon drippings and cooked til tender...

Added 4 cups of chicken broth, one smoked ham hock, 2 bay leaves, red pepper flakes and a couple pinches of thyme, basil and oregano. Also added 2 cups of cooked pintos. Black eyed peas are normally used, but I had a pot of pintos going so I used them. I let it simmer until the ham hock was pretty tender...

I added some rice and let this simmer until the rice had absorbed the seasoned broth....

Crumbled my bacon on top, sprinkled with some cracked black pepper and added a few chopped green onions and it was ready....

It's an easy, tasty dish while camping. :)

Looks like good stuff Jeanie. Hope you had a great time!

Thanks Ron, it's pretty good stuff.
I had a great time, just went by too fast. :)

tht looks great!!!! gonna have to try it not to mention could shift gears on it and really add what ever you desired to suit your taste to make it your own!!!! good 1 jeanie!!!

Thank you Lou and Erain! You really can add what you like to the dish. Or leave out what you don't like. lol

Looks great Cowgirl! Didnt go fast enough for those of us that were waiting for you to return!
wink.gif

You're too sweet DINGLE...thank you! I did miss ya'll too!

Thank you Bill, it did smell pretty good. :)
I'm almost convinced I'd eat anything that had bacon in it. lol

Very nice Jeanie. Haven't had that forever, ham hocks, mmm.

Thank you Ron and Seboke!
I think I got my campfire skills from my Mom. Also some of her cast iron. :)

That's some good lookin camping food Jeanie. We don't eat that good when we go camping. That's going to change!

Thanks Mark! I do think I eat better while camping than I do at home sometimes.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky