more cheese/butter and eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wanna-be-smoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
VT
Cheese and butter were on sale again so i took advantage of it. I am also going to cold smoke some hard boiled eggs that i seasoned as well as long as the smoke tube is going. The weather is cold and dreary so I am taking advantage of it

I put some pans of frozen water in the freezer to help me keep the temps down.I will make ice cubes from the water after the smoke is done.

ec2.jpg ec1.jpg ec3.jpg ec6.jpg ec7.jpg ec8.jpg

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
today is windy and cold and my tube went out twice so i have now opened it up a bit for some extra air

How are the eggs?

I recently found myself with about 7 dozen hard boiled eggs my kids dyed for Easter was thinking about maybe tossing them in the smoker.

I've done a lot of cheese over the last month and even some butter last weekend as well but never tried eggs.

they are still in the smoker so we will see. I have tried boiling and cooking while some meat was cooking but they were like a rubber bouncy ball. Then i have i tried putting them in right out of the fridge and they were good but very minimal smoke.

So now im trying them boiled peeled and cold smoked

I have for sure found the/my way to do smoked eggs lol. Im not a OMG type of guy but man these are freaking great.

cold smoked 2 hours with a mix of Hickory/Maple and cherry pellets

ec9.jpg ec10.jpg

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Butter is out after 2.5 hours and I mixed up some kosher salt and Cajun rub

cant wait to try my cold smoked Cajun kosher salt

ec11.jpg ec12.jpg

Points for sure man that all looks great.

Thanks for the insight on the eggs going to toss a few dozen in this weekend now!

Perhaps a smoked egg salad is in the future.

Did the eggs and butter have a strong flavor? Do you have to let it rest for a time or can you just eat them right away? What would you do with the butter? Compound butter? After looking at the photos again I see you have stick butter. I have a pound of butter but its not cut into quarters. Did you rewrap them back in the paper they came in or did you put them in a ziplock? That's an interesting combination of pellets, what made you choose those types?

Ummmm smoke deviled eggs. Now u got me wanting to make some. Have to just get by for now with the mac & cheese in the smoker. Eggs plan later. Points

Did the eggs and butter have a strong flavor? Do you have to let it rest for a time or can you just eat them right away? What would you do with the butter? Compound butter? After looking at the photos again I see you have stick butter. I have a pound of butter but its not cut into quarters. Did you rewrap them back in the paper they came in or did you put them in a ziplock? That's an interesting combination of pellets, what made you choose those types?

the Eggs were not overly strong but plenty of smoke flavor and I chose the mix or pellets because they were milder woods and I like to experiment. The butter and cheese i let rest but the butter is very usable right away esp with the milder flavors and the butter rests for 4-6 weeks before i use it . I use it on popcorn/potatoes/veggies/toast and i cook with it and you can really use it for anything.

i sometimes just vacuum seal it but this time i put it back in original wrappers and packaging.

Thanks for the tips. I was looking for something different to try and this is right up there at the top. Great photos by the way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky