MOPS for shoulder & ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My personal preference is to stay away from sugar and salt in mops. The sugar will caramelize and form a hard shell which will slow smoke penetration, the salt draws out moisture and anyway who needs it?

Mops keep the meat moist, nothing else. It all drips in the water pan eventually.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
Aubrey Page

Hightower,

On Ribs I simply use apple juice or cider in a spray bottle. The rub and smoke impart enough flavor on their own.

On shoulders I generally mop every hour and a half or so with the following;

1-2 Cups Cider vinegar
1/2 can of beer
2-3tbs of Jeff's Naked Rib Rub

If you plan to mop, make sure you allow your meat to smoke untouched for at least the first two hours to allow a nice "bark" to form. If you mop too early, you'll just wash all that delicious rub right off into the water pan.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Brian

hey there hightower11,
i work at a bar-b-q place and i use our sauce 1 to 1 with beer(your favorite flavor)i generally use a dark beer though........i just heat it up a bit and i mop about ever 45 minutes after the first hour
for 2 hors and then transfer my meat into aroasting pan with a rack in the bottom and put the rest of my mop sauce in the botom and put it in the oven on 235 until the meat is tender.......like falling off the bone.......just add your favorite sauce....yummy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky