MOPS for shoulder & ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by hightower11, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Hi All

Looking for a few recipes for mops for my baby backs and shoulders.

Thanks in advance for the recipe's.

2. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I simply use apple juice or cider in a spray bottle. It's quick & simple.

3. smokin_all_night

smokin_all_night Meat Mopper OTBS Member

My personal preference is to stay away from sugar and salt in mops. The sugar will caramelize and form a hard shell which will slow smoke penetration, the salt draws out moisture and anyway who needs it?

Mops keep the meat moist, nothing else. It all drips in the water pan eventually.

Just my opinion.

Regards,
    Aubrey Page

4. brianj517

brianj517 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hightower,

On Ribs I simply use apple juice or cider in a spray bottle. The rub and smoke impart enough flavor on their own.

On shoulders I generally mop every hour and a half or so with the following;

1-2 Cups Cider vinegar
    1/2 can of beer
    2-3tbs of Jeff's Naked Rib Rub

If you plan to mop, make sure you allow your meat to smoke untouched for at least the first two hours to allow a nice "bark" to form. If you mop too early, you'll just wash all that delicious rub right off into the water pan.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Brian

5. thanks for all the recipes guys... Please keep them coming !!!!

6. hey there hightower11,
    i work at a bar-b-q place and i use our sauce 1 to 1 with beer(your favorite flavor)i generally use a dark beer though........i just heat it up a bit and i mop about ever 45 minutes after the first hour
    for 2 hors and then transfer my meat into aroasting pan with a rack in the bottom and put the rest of my mop sauce in the botom and put it in the oven on 235 until the meat is tender.......like falling off the bone.......just add your favorite sauce....yummy