Mops and finishing sauces

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

getgoing

Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
I've searched the forum and could not find much on chicken mops or finishing sauces. Is anyone willing to share some recipes and techniques?

i came up with this some time ago tried on two whole chickens smoked "beer can" style. results were excellent and i wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

1-1/2 gallons of water
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp creole or cajun seasoning

i brined the chickens for four hours and then smoked them on my vertical brinkmann smoker for about 5 hours, keeping the temperatures between 225 and 240 degrees. i used half a can of beer for each chicken and added 2 tbsp of soy sauce to the beer. the smoking wood was a blend of equal parts of cherry maple and apple.

i also used a basting mop once an hour consisting of the following ingredients:

1 cup melted butter or margarine
2 tsp white pepper
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp sugar

results were pretty dang good if i do say so myself, and the flavors complimented well with none overpowering another. even though one chicken was skinned (long story), both were moist and juicy.

2008-08-10_110746_chicken_smoke_qview_-_9aug08.jpg

I don't mop my chicken, all i do is wash it in apple cider vineger 2 times (changing vineger after each wash) and then just apply my rub, wrap it up put it in the fridge overnight, then throw a Budweiser up its butt, and smoke it for about 4 hrs. Hard to beat.

Thanks everyone. Most the time I smoke either leg quarters or just the thigh. I'm thinking of trying some small little competitions around town and just wanted some ideas. You know something that would make the quarters stand out and shine like new money but taste great also.

If someone was going to judge me on it, I would like to get some herbs and butter up under the skin. Heat high enough to crisp the skin or I prefer to smoke then finish on a grill to crisp and color up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky