Moose's Tandoori Chicken: Qview & Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mooseman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Encino, CA
I've been looking at a number of tandoori chicken recipes, which I sort of eyeballed and integrated the best of each, along with my own modifications. The last cook was the best so far, and I'm pretty happy with it. I used chicken thighs for this one, but you can also use cut up pieces, or a smaller halved bird. Either way, I remove the skin and score the meat in crosswise on all surfaces, as is traditionally done in Northern Indian tandoori style chicken. Sorry I didn't take pics of that part, but I do have these:

After marinating the chicken in the tandoori paste/marinade for 8 hours, I fired up the Kingsford Oval with some oak. I then put the thighs on the cool side so they could cook slowly and absorb the oaky smoky goodness:

After about 15 mins, I turned them:

Another 10mins and I moved them closer to the hot side of the grill:

Finally, I moved them to the hot side, turning every few mins so they could get a nice "crust" on the outside:

After I let the chicken rest, I served it with fresh Garlic Naan, cilantro garnish, and fresh homemade mint chutney:

Session data

Here's the recipe and instructions:

Moose’s Tandoori Chicken

Ingredients
  • 1 (4 to 4 1/2 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, skin removed ( Or 8 thighs)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 white onion, quartered
  • 4-6 whole Garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Directions
Using a knife, cut diagonal slices 1-inch apart, and 1/2-inch deep into the larger pieces.

Combine the oil, onion, garlic, ginger, lemon juice and process in a blender or food processor on high speed to a paste. Then add the paprika, salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander, garam masala, and cayenne, and process until well blended. Add the yogurt, and process to a smooth sauce, scraping down the sides to combine all the ingredients. Pour the marinade into either a baking dish or Ziploc bag over the chicken. Turn to coat evenly, rubbing the marinade into the holes and slits. Cover tightly with plastic wrap if using a baking dish, or seal the Ziploc bag, refrigerate for at least 4 hours, and up to 12 hours, turning occasionally.

Set up a charcoal grill for indirect cooking with hot coals banked to one side. If you like a smokier tasting chicken, place a chunk of hardwood over the hot coals. Place chicken on the cool side of the grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on the first side. Turn, and cook on the second side for 8 to 10 minutes. Move the chicken to the hot side, and continue cooking, turning chicken pieces every 2 mins or as needed until the chicken is cooked through, but still tender. Let chicken rest 10 mins before serving. Serve with fresh cilantro garnish and lemon slices.Session data

Man... that there is a plate of heaven! I loooove tandoori chicken, thanks for the recipe.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have been thinking about trying to smoke some Tandoori  Chicken after having some from a restaurant.  Copied your recipe and will have to give it a try.  Thanks.

oh hell yeah that looks good.  Great job, thanks for the great pics recipe and inspiration.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky