Moose, Deer and 2 other fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rugsrme

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Marshall, MO
Had I guy I work for gave me some deer burger and moose burger to try out in some fatties.

I figured the bacon wrapped around them would make the meat moist and flavorful.  They were OK, the moose was very dry, could have used more filling (onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and cheese) but it was hard to roll because the meat wanted to fall apart, I managed to get them rapped in the bacon weave and all held together through the smoke. Next time I'm going to mix the game meat with some sausage for easier rolling and better flavor.

I did 3 with the same filling, moose, deer, and one sausage, the fourth I used hamburger for the roll, and filled it with leftover taco meat, refried beans, onion, tomato and some taco seasoning sprinkled inside.

Only picture of Moose before I rolled them:

e7f8d181_IMAG0101.jpg

The smaller is the regular sausage, the larger is the taco, that taco one was great on a bun with lettuce, tomato and some hot barbeque sauce:

6f63697b_IMAG0102.jpg

7960a600_IMAG0105.jpg

These two are the moose and deer:

73b267e5_IMAG0103.jpg

4c6fdef0_IMAG0104.jpg

The bacon got pretty dark but it wasn't burned, the smoke was allot heavier than I wanted, probably combination of too much hickory and really gusty wind.

Reactions: thunderdome
They look good.  I agree without adding some fat or mixing with another fatty meat they would tend to be too dry

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky