Monte Christo Sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well I started off the week with the intention of double smoking a ham for dinner, sandwiches and salad(a three for one deal). With the heat we've been having I wanted to cook as little as possible. While in the grocer I also noticed a turkey breast sitting there by it's lonesome - just calling out my name.

So I broke out ole faithful and fired her up.

DSC00712.JPG

Then I took Mr Ham out of the fridge,

DSC00714.JPG

...and gave her a little trim and some makeup.
DSC00715.JPG

Then it was old Tom's turn.
DSC00716.JPG

After removing some of the excess skin and adding a little garlic-n-herb seasoning. They're sitting side by side like a happy couple should be.
DSC00717.JPG

On to their smoke filled journey at 280 to 300*.
DSC00718.JPG

A short time later
DSC00720.JPG

...they were finally pulled out for a rest stop.
DSC00721.JPG

Fast forward a couple days sliced some more up for tonight's supper. Saving the bone for some pea-soup the wifey promised me.
DSC00722.JPG

Three slices of some Canadian white bread(crusts trimmed off) and smoked Gouda cheese.
DSC00723.JPG

Add a layer of turkey:
DSC00724.JPG

top it off with the Gouda
DSC00725.JPG

Followed by another slice of bread one side with mayo(turkey side) spread on it the other with sriracha mustard. Then a layer of ham.
DSC00726.JPG

Topped off with Swiss cheese. Then wrap up the sandwich in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for about 3 hrs with a weight on top.
DSC00727.JPG

Remove from the fridge, dip in beaten eggs and place on a rack to settle.

DSC00729.JPG

I grilled these on the Kettle with the Vortex along with the baked potato. They didn't get brown like when doing them in a frying pan, but the bread was just as crispy(go figure). anyway as you can see the middle slice of bread kinda disappears from the equation.
DSC00730.JPG

This is an excellent sandwich very filling and easy to make. You can use deli meats, but leftovers are much better. Next time I will probably use the charcoal baskets instead of the Vortex so I can go direct without fear of burning the bread.

Thanks for taking the journey and enjoy the rest of your day. As usual comments or critiques are more then welcome.

Chris

Mmmmm, looks tasty as all get out.
Nice sammie!
Like!

Thanks Chili for kind words and like. The wife really enjoyed it and was looking for a repeat performance today.

Chris

Damn that looks good! Points on the cook man it turned out awesome!

I’ve got a ham and a turkey in the freezer this might be in my near future

Damn that looks good! Points on the cook man it turned out awesome!
I’ve got a ham and a turkey in the freezer this might be in my near future

Thanks Smokin for the like and read. They're a great change of pace and a good use of leftovers.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Man o man Chris!
That is a beauty!
Fantastic looking sandwich!
Very nicely done & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Thank you Al for kind words, like, and ride. I appreciate it.

Chris

Wow Chris, That looks absolutely great!!! Point.... now I am wiping the drool off my keyboard....
Congrats on the carousel ride..

Thanks Smokin for the like and read. They're a great change of pace and a good use of leftovers.

Chris

You are killing it on all this good food lately. I was wanting to do some sausage and pork tenderloins today but ended up mowing grass for 8 hours and throwing some chicken on the grill for a nice 10’oclock dinner. At least I had a 12 pack of PBR to quench my thirst in this heat!

That looks like a really good sandwich.
Thanks Butt Man, it is a good sammie.

Awesome Chris.. you nailed that one! My only critique, is where's my sammie? :D
Sorry WHB, My wife is using the rest of the ham for pea soup. So that's it for me to.

A thing of beauty, worthy of the "Sammie Hall-of-Fame!" Like, like, like, like, like!

Might not go that far, but it is my favorite.

Thanks for the likes and nice words you guys really appreciate it.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky