Moldy UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NahsteeDawg

Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
Sup SMF Fam,

Yesterday was one of the last nice weather days we might see in Michigan so I decided to smoke a pork loin...turned out great. But before i got started i i had to clean a bit of mold out of the drum. It was quite a bit. My last time using it before yesterday was Labor day. So my question is does anyone else experience this? If not what's the best way to avoid it? I did dump out the ashes before putting it in the garage, it was dry on the inside but i guess it happened from the moisture of whatever oils was in the drum. It was completely closed off when stored and placed in a dark garage. Any advice to avoid this is much appreciated and any response is still much appreciated. Thanks!

Yep, my UDS will gather mold. Best thing to do is store it as dry as possible and keep the vents open to allow air to circulate in it while stored.

Clean up any grease before storing.

Yep, my UDS will gather mold. Best thing to do is store it as dry as possible and keep the vents open to allow air to circulate in it while stored.

Clean up any grease before storing.
Thanks, i figured it was not keeping the vents open. I'll do this from now on.

Burn it out good before you store it. I reseason mine before I cover it. That way if it does get any mold I just spray it with bleach water hose it out and burn it off before using it again.
Leaving all the vents open really help though. My offset was the same way The condensation causes it , so air flow is key to keeping the mold down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky