Mold Mold Mold

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Can I wipe off mold that was under the casing?

• Yes wipe it down

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cut the mold section away

• Toss it all

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joshwiss

Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
St Louis
My first batch of salami came out better than I could have ever expected. Everyone loved it had great taste, texture, and looked great.

So i figure 10 pound batch worked out lets do a 40 pound batch.

I get it all stuffed looks good, barely fits in the chamber still enough air gaps so not too concerned.

During fermenting 1 log was too close to the heating element and looks almost cooked,

Toss that one

I start Curing and my sanity check digital humidity and temp gauge goes out.  so i order a new one 4 days later i put a new one in and i am sitting at 54 and 90% humidity, with a mold on the casings.

at this point i wipe down with vineger turn off humidifier and it drops to 80% and stays there

i wipe down again 2 days later and switch out my code to keep dehumidifier on

this keeps humidity at 73% and temp at 54 

i have kept it there for 3 week and my weight is looking good am about 1 week from complete.

My problem is I have a few that the casing has become loose on and there is a light green mold under the casing on 2. the others all look good with just a little powdery mold on the outside and a little in the crevases of the end.

Can I wipe down the salami after I take the case off, or cut the end off with the mold, or should I toss any with mold on the actual meat? 

I have purchased mold-600 for future projects and am never going to make such a large batch again until i am sure i have perfected the process a little more.

My first batch of salami came out better than I could have ever expected. Everyone loved it had great taste, texture, and looked great.

So i figure 10 pound batch worked out lets do a 40 pound batch.

I get it all stuffed looks good, barely fits in the chamber still enough air gaps so not too concerned.

During fermenting 1 log was too close to the heating element and looks almost cooked,

Toss that one

I start Curing and my sanity check digital humidity and temp gauge goes out.  so i order a new one 4 days later i put a new one in and i am sitting at 54 and 90% humidity, with a mold on the casings.

at this point i wipe down with vineger turn off humidifier and it drops to 80% and stays there

i wipe down again 2 days later and switch out my code to keep dehumidifier on

this keeps humidity at 73% and temp at 54 

i have kept it there for 3 week and my weight is looking good am about 1 week from complete.

My problem is I have a few that the casing has become loose on and there is a light green mold under the casing on 2. the others all look good with just a little powdery mold on the outside and a little in the crevases of the end.

Can I wipe down the salami after I take the case off, or cut the end off with the mold, or should I toss any with mold on the actual meat? 

I have purchased mold-600 for future projects and am never going to make such a large batch again until i am sure i have perfected the process a little more.
Yes its better to make 2.5 or 5lb batches for the home charcuturie maker.

What casings did you use? When the meat shrinks the casing can become loose. If you used collagen the protein lined work best this way they shrink with the meat, natural work great also.

Sometimes its normal for mold between the meat and casings. Keep checking. Your nose will tell you if its spoiled. You were right to toss the chub that looked cooked.

With the mold 600 you should mix with distilled water a day before you stuff the casings then spray it onto the casing surface, this can be done a couple times for maximum beneficial mold. You may want to check the meat from time to time by cutting the end of one. Depending on your casing size it can take longer than 3-4 weeks.

Hope this helps some and GL with your salami making.

Thanks for the input nepas

70 mm fiberous casing,   I read afterward that I should soak them in water and it may help the bond.

it only pulled back on a couple so i think they were the ones that were closes to humidifier and had visible moisture the one day i opened it.

Going to make sure and do smaller batches as its alot less stressful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky