• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Molasses Questions

reents

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 19, 2007
What is the diffrences in the type of molasses that you would use ? Would it be the Sugar content?

chainsaw

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 5, 2009
We only have one choice here-Grandma's. Used to use Bre'r rabbit at one time. Unsure about sugar content.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 7, 2010
I like the unsulphured blackstrap molasses it has 11 g of sugar per serving and a whopping 600 mg of potassium, versus another brand I have on hand that's Golding Farms molasses it has 15 g of sugar per serving and 130 mg of potassium. The blackstrap is better IMO. I also use boiled cider, which I love! It has no sugar added and is apple cider evaporated down into a syrup. Great on pork.

arnie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 20, 2010
Now we know

I always wondeed what the differance was, but I never read the label

mikedixon

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 21, 2009
I like to use "homemade" molasses. You can usually find them at farmers markets or local Amish communities, but I don't have a clue about the sugar content.

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
If you can find it get a can or bottle of cane syrup. steens is the most known brand

it's darklike molasses but i thinkit taste better.

squirrel

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 7, 2010
Oh man, I love cane syrup. Being down here in the south we can get it straight from the plantations. That is gooooood stuff. Very, very sweet though. If you want a good sugar buzz just eat a spoonful of cane syrup!

mikedixon

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 21, 2009
 I just picked up a quart of good fresh molasses Thursday. I wonder if you could get them to flow through an IV needle?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks