1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Molasses Questions

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by reents, Sep 6, 2010.

1. What is the diffrences in the type of molasses that you would use ? Would it be the Sugar content?

2. chainsaw

chainsaw Smoking Fanatic

We only have one choice here-Grandma's. Used to use Bre'r rabbit at one time. Unsure about sugar content.

3. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like the unsulphured blackstrap molasses it has 11 g of sugar per serving and a whopping 600 mg of potassium, versus another brand I have on hand that's Golding Farms molasses it has 15 g of sugar per serving and 130 mg of potassium. The blackstrap is better IMO. I also use boiled cider, which I love! It has no sugar added and is apple cider evaporated down into a syrup. Great on pork.

4. thanks for you advice on this.

5. arnie

arnie Smoking Fanatic

Now we know

I always wondeed what the differance was, but I never read the label

6. mikedixon

mikedixon Smoke Blower

I like to use "homemade" molasses. You can usually find them at farmers markets or local Amish communities, but I don't have a clue about the sugar content.

7. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

If you can find it get a can or bottle of cane syrup. steens is the most known brand

it's darklike molasses but i thinkit taste better.

8. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Oh man, I love cane syrup. Being down here in the south we can get it straight from the plantations. That is gooooood stuff. Very, very sweet though. If you want a good sugar buzz just eat a spoonful of cane syrup!

9. mikedixon

mikedixon Smoke Blower

I just picked up a quart of good fresh molasses Thursday. I wonder if you could get them to flow through an IV needle?[​IMG]