Molasses Questions

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by reents, Sep 6, 2010.

1. What is the diffrences in the type of molasses that you would use ? Would it be the Sugar content?

2. chainsaw

chainsaw Smoking Fanatic

We only have one choice here-Grandma's. Used to use Bre'r rabbit at one time. Unsure about sugar content.

3. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I like the unsulphured blackstrap molasses it has 11 g of sugar per serving and a whopping 600 mg of potassium, versus another brand I have on hand that's Golding Farms molasses it has 15 g of sugar per serving and 130 mg of potassium. The blackstrap is better IMO. I also use boiled cider, which I love! It has no sugar added and is apple cider evaporated down into a syrup. Great on pork.

4. thanks for you advice on this.

5. arnie

arnie Smoking Fanatic

Now we know

I always wondeed what the differance was, but I never read the label

6. mikedixon

mikedixon Smoke Blower

I like to use "homemade" molasses. You can usually find them at farmers markets or local Amish communities, but I don't have a clue about the sugar content.

7. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

If you can find it get a can or bottle of cane syrup. steens is the most known brand

it's darklike molasses but i thinkit taste better.

8. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Oh man, I love cane syrup. Being down here in the south we can get it straight from the plantations. That is gooooood stuff. Very, very sweet though. If you want a good sugar buzz just eat a spoonful of cane syrup!

9. mikedixon

mikedixon Smoke Blower

I just picked up a quart of good fresh molasses Thursday. I wonder if you could get them to flow through an IV needle?[​IMG]