Minion Method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foozer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Huxley, Iowa
I just finished reading the 2nd lesson in Jeff's 5 day course. I researched the "minion method" of controlling heat as he suggested and saw where one person uses this method and burns the charcoal in a charcoal basket. Does anyone else have a charcoal basket? does it work well? where can they be purchased? are they worth the cost? what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Thank you.

Depending on what type of smoker you have. I made a simple 12 x 12 basket that is 6" deep out of expanded metal from Home Depot. I just cut 6 x 6 squares off of each corner then bent the sides up. I've had trouble using the minion method, but I think i need to seal up my char griller a little more to control the air flow better.

Hi Foozer, I have a charcoal basket that I use in GOSM I made it out of 1/2" expanded sheet metal and used carriage bolts for legs.It ain't pretty but it works. It can hold about 20lbs of charcoal ( brick, around 15lbs of lump). I can get about a 12 to 14 hour burn (or longer depending on weather conditions) in the GOSM using the Minion Method. Best thing I ever made for my smoker. It made tending fires much easier and worry free. As for buying one??? I know that Kloss out of Huston TX make them. But it might be just as easy and cheaper for you to make one. Advantages: Longer burn time, less time tending fire, more fuel efficient, steady temps etc. Disadvantages: Hmmm let me think.... I really don't know of any??? Ron

Thanks Motley & Ron,

Do you have any pictures? Kind a want to see what my finished product should look like when I am done.

Foozer, I use the minion method on my weber kettle along with the Smokenator and can get about 6 hours of steady temps without having to add any charcoal. I don't use my kettle any other way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky