Minion method question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cseymour

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Newburgh NY
Hi all,
I have a char-griller with an offset firebox. This weekend I wanted to try using the minion method as I was smoking some butts and I knew I was going to be in and out a couple of times.

I use a charcoal basket. Bringing the smoker up to temp worked fine. Got it up to and maintained between 220 and 230 no problem (lasted about 2.5 - 3 hrs).

My question is as the temp starts to fall, how do you maintain the temps for longer cooks. I have a second charcoal basket, should I just do the same thing outside the smoker then switch baskets?

Or can I just keep adding new lump as the temps begin to drop?

Thanks.

Chris

You could do either one. Make sure your ashes are clear in the original basket if you just add more lit charcoal so it can get it's air.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky