Mini UDS.... What is too small?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbsmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 30, 2013
So when I smoke its always just me and my wife. I love my electric old smokey but really it's bigger then I need and I really want to experiment with charcoals and wood chunks. I got a drum today about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. Is this doable to turn into a really mini UDS? The bucket is for size comparison.

Folks build mini wsm(s), and now Weber is selling them (part 711001) so why not a mini UDS? I've seen a 30 gal drum used but not one as small as the one in your photo. Go for it and be sure to document the build here and show us how it cooks!

Last edited:
My main concern is that the meat will be too close to the heat source..... Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

My main concern is that the meat will be too close to the heat source..... Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Look at the mini-WSM builds. There are many ways to get the heat separated from the meat. As short as that drum is I would say that you would want to see if it will fit on a Smokey Joe. If you put the charcoal in the drum you aren't going to have enough room for a diffuser and the meat unless you're cooking thin cut chops and steaks.

Look at the mini-WSM builds. There are many ways to get the heat separated from the meat. As short as that drum is I would say that you would want to see if it will fit on a Smokey Joe. If you put the charcoal in the drum you aren't going to have enough room for a diffuser and the meat unless you're cooking thin cut chops and steaks.
If it doesn't fit a Smokey Joe (14.5"), maybe a Jumbo Joe (18"). Also, you could use a pizza stone as a diffuser to keep direct flame off the food.

I really think you have some possibilities there.

Last edited:
I'm wishing I woulda grabbed two of them right now. The guy that gave it to me must of had like 50 of them.

So I'm totally new to this... I know you can't link but can anybody point me in the direction of a good thread with step by step instructions? Also looking for some design help with how I should lay things out?

I'd think you could make a really nice UDS out of a 15 gallon drum.  I've been wanting to try that, but just no time.  And I am now building a Mini WSM

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky