Mincing, Chopping Utensil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wusthof Santoku. RAY

Attachments

• DSCN1464.JPG
    DSCN1464.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Fueling Around
Chef Knife for small quantities. A Cheap-o Mini Food Processor or full size Food Processor for medium to large amounts...JJ

A good, sharp Chef's knife for me too...although I like the idea of those choppers, mincers, slicers, dicers, etc. Unfortunately, however, most of those kinds of kitchen gadgets I've tried, that claim to make these tasks faster and easier, never work as well as advertised.

Red

Growing up, Mom had a 1950's version of a Slap Chopper. A 2Cup glass jar with a small wood cutting board inside. Fill the jar, Screw on the Chop mechanism and have at it. Worked amazingly well. Was great fun to use as a kid!...JJ

I am kinda picky about size and when you say "mince" I would forgo knife and use my small ninja. It is very similar to chef jimmyj chef jimmyj . A "slam" chopper could also work but for larger "chopped" size stuff. Really cool for soups. Might bust out a mandoline to make sliced stuff on a killer salad. I also have a full size FP for large batches and many discs for things IE grater for latkas.

LOL We had one of those slam choppers too. This is what they look like nowadays and love mine:

My two goto knives: a modern 7" santuku and my Grandma's old stamped s-steel, Made in the USA, 8" chef knife. I l like them both. I have a mini food processor but it doesn't get a lot of use. The mandolin is pretty much for scallop potatoes.

20200117_122445.jpg

Reactions: JC in GB
Growing up, Mom had a 1950's version of a Slap Chopper. A 2Cup glass jar with a small wood cutting board inside. Fill the jar, Screw on the Chop mechanism and have at it. Worked amazingly well. Was great fun to use as a kid!...JJ
Used to have one of those also. Worked really good. I do use knife for smaller amounts but was looking for something a little more productive. Used one of these today to do up the fix'ns for Steve's bacon jam, to make it a little quicker. Do have to be careful because it will puree real quick.
Mandolin does ok for some things also.

What is everyone's go to mincing / chopping utensil ? Something of fair quality, or is it just your favorite knife ?

Hands down this little pull chopper!
715KjbRMJfL._SL1500_.jpg

It also makes a great gift too.

It works with about half a large onion split up into smaller wedges. You pull to get chopped, pull some more to get minced, pull some more to get mush lol.

We have one of those plunger type choppers. I'm not sure where we got it but it seem to work well, and everything is contained in one spot on the cutting board. It's probably one of those Ron Popeil items you used to see advertised on the tele along side of the pocket fisherman.

Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
God Bless Ron Popeil, I had a pocket fisherman as a kid and a Ronco Showtime 4000 as an adult. Probably the greatest inventor since Thomas Edison. Maybe better! RAY

Smaller quantities (the norm as empty nesters) is just my favorite knife on a cheap Menard's bamboo cutting board.
Larger quantites, I break out the food processor.
We have one of those plunger type choppers. I'm not sure where we got it but it seem to work well, and everything is contained in one spot on the cutting board. It's probably one of those Ron Popeil items you used to see advertised on the tele along side of the pocket fisherman.

Chris
My wife picked up a Pampered Chef plunger unit at a girl's gone wild party many years ago. Wife used for a few years until she learned I do a better job with a sharp knife.

My wife has one of those Cuisinart (sp) processors in the cabinet forever, I think she might have used it once. I've never touched it. RAY

grinder.JPG

My go to little santuku and KA boat motor. And a little cuisinart. I have a larger one that only gets used occasionally.

Chef Knife for small quantities. A Cheap-o Mini Food Processor or full size Food Processor for medium to large amounts...JJ

Slap chopper by PC
Have an early version (20 years old) works great

It works with about half a large onion split up into smaller wedges. You pull to get chopped, pull some more to get minced, pull some more to get mush lol.
Beat me to it . My son has one of these like posted in post 12 . It really works great .

Reactions: tallbm
For chopping either a knife or this

For slicing either a knife or this

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky