MES40 Vent Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

callmetut

Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
SW Misery (Missouri)
I'm getting ready to start my first smoke in my MES 40 and wanted a bit of advise on where the vent opening should be ...? I was going to start with it half open (or half closed ... if your a water half empty type person)... then after hitting temp on the meat and wraping it, close off the vent completely. This is a boston butt.

When smoking exhaust vent needs to be fully open!!

Only time i close mine is to preheat and for storage.

When smoking exhaust vent needs to be fully open!!

Only time i close mine is to preheat and for storage.
Same-Same Me!!

Except when only using the AMNS (cheese)--Then I close it half way.

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies... I'll most likely get the AMNS in a few weeks, vent is fully open and I'm going to guess if I keep poking the butt with a sharp pointy stick it isn't going to make it move any faster... maybe the wife needs to take note of that...lol

I am using soaked wood chips (not chunks) for this first burn (smoke), about how often should I need to add more(?) or is it a just watch the thin smoke tapper off?

Tut

Thanks for the quick replies... I'll most likely get the AMNS in a few weeks, vent is fully open and I'm going to guess if I keep poking the butt with a sharp pointy stick it isn't going to make it move any faster... maybe the wife needs to take note of that...lol

I am using soaked wood chips (not chunks) for this first burn (smoke), about how often should I need to add more(?) or is it a just watch the thin smoke tapper off?

Tut
On the poking your butt with a pointy stick!---->
laugh1.gif
-----------But it works on cows.

I never soak chips or chunks, if I use them, and IMO, it is watch smoke to see when to add more.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky