MES30 starts on fire - completely ruined

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stayhot, Feb 26, 2014.

1. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

My year old MES 30 started on fire last weekend and is completely ruined. It got so hot that it melted the controller, door gaskets and fried the insulation inside of the door. I'm not sure what actually caused the fire but I usually leave the smoker on the edge of the garage slab inside the garage, never again because if I didn't notice this I could have burnt the house down.  Don't know if I want another MES after this incident or a different brand. Any thoughts, comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

venture likes this.
  2. I would contact MES and give them pictures. They might give you a free replacement.

They also might give some insight into what caused the fire.

What were you smoking and at what temp? could if have been a grease fire?

Happy smoken.

David

3. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

I would highly doubt that there was a grease fire because I only smoke snack sticks and summer sausage. I doubt that they would stand behind it because it's 1 1/2 years since I bought it.

4. sb59

sb59 Smoking Fanatic

Sorry to see! But it could have been worse. This is why I said in another thread never leave smoker unattended, you never know what can happen. Surprised with door closed smoke didn't chock out the flames! So I'm thinking run away electric with way over heated element.

Were you using a ground fault? Guess you weren't using one of those remote Mavericks? It might have given you a heads up on rising heat in box.

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Try calling Masterbuilt giving details on how you use it and such. There has been at least 1 member that had a several year old units replaced free long after th warranty expired...JJ

6. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

Yes I was using a Maverick but I had just put the meat into the smoker and all this happened 30 minutes into it. I did not have the Maverick close by where I was just never do because I have made these types of things 100's of time and I do the same process all the time. I only start monitoring the temps after 4-5 hours into it. 

7. delibsribs

delibsribs Fire Starter

Hey man, easy to replace an MES. Not so easy to replace your burned down house! I'd say you got lucky it wasn't worse. Definitely give them a call, I think they will help you out like the others have said. Good luck.

8. Yikes!!!
    I'm very sorry to see this happen!!!

~Martin

9. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Do you know any firefighters? If so, I'd see if you can have the smoker looked at to see if the cause of the fire can be determined. They could probably use it as a training aid, offsetting any costs involved with the investigation. I know I'd be more than a little freaked out if a cooking appliance suddenly caught fire and I'd want to know why so as to avoid future problems.

Thank you for sharing your experience here. There have been quite a few folks who've built "smoking rooms" in garages and even inside their homes with ventilation systems and have used this exact smoker. It's good for folks to see firsthand the inherent dangers of using such an appliance in an enclosed space. Glad to hear your experience wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been and you and your family were spared a real tragedy.

danmcg likes this.
  10. rhanna

rhanna Newbie

Holy cow stayhot. I have that smoker and use it close to my house as well. Glad no other damage was done. I don't know that I would want a replacement MES. Please keep is up to date on whats taking place. To echo other folks thanks for sharing.

11. chestnutbloom

chestnutbloom Smoking Fanatic

Wow I left mine on last week while I went shopping....definitely not doing that again! Thank you for posting this and I wish you the best of luck....[​IMG]

12. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have the same smoker. They have problems with the wiring in the back of the smoker. Maybe the cause?

I leave mine all the time while smoking. That's why I bought it.

13. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

I used to leave this running while I was gone also, don't know what they are going to do about the warranty??? The smoker was so hot inside that the digital controller on top was only a puddle of molten plastic after I got the fire out.

14. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

I originally purchased this smoker new on 6/27/2012 and a little over 1 year later it stopped working while I was beginning to smoke 25 pounds of summer sausage (that I had to throw away) and under warranty they sent me a new smoker. This is the smoker that started on fire and all they can do is ask me to buy a new smoker at the sale price I got it for plus $45 for shipping, WHAT A JOKE!! I WILL NEVER BY ANY OF THERE GARBAGE AGAIN!! I have received a lot of PM's on this topic and it appears that there are more folks than I thought that are disgusted with Masterbuilt. About the only thing myself and others agree with on these is that they are cheap, but most times cheap is not always good or better.[​IMG][​IMG]

15. sb59

sb59 Smoking Fanatic

http://www.masterbuiltdocs.com/sitelinks/smoker-recall.pdf

16. delibsribs

delibsribs Fire Starter

Sooooo, that must be one hell of a repair kit they send you!!

17. stayhot

stayhot Smoking Fanatic

After calling them 6 times and arguing about this they have offered me a new unit for $90 plus $50 shipping, they can stick it up there arse!!! This is the 2nd bad unit in 2 years, I think there are better options out there. At my local Gander Mountain store the salesperson tells me that people have been seeing these issues for a long time. I know on this unit the actual temperature varies by 25 degress but what the controller is set at. The bigger joke is that this only has a warranty of 90 days while the other mfgs offer a 1 year warranty. Had I looked around on line I would have seen how many complaints there are on these all with the same issue. WHAT A PILE OF JUNK!!

18. bigwheel

bigwheel Smoking Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up on those issues. I have a little off brand electric clone..which is grease fire city. Have one each time I try to use the crazy thing. I finally give up and used it for a table and storage cabinet. Try using what you got left and mount a electric range top element in there. Hook up only one loop. Set a pie pan on top and wood in the pan. Should work better than what you started with for jerky..slim jims etc. Best of fortunes. Dont let any grease build up in it.

19. carnie

carnie Newbie

Buy a Bradley !!! Their customer service is number 1

20. tg pythons

tg pythons Fire Starter

This is really scary! I often run mine overnight in the garage.... Glad you and your house are safe.