• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

MES Rewire Simple Guide - No Back Removal Needed!!!

lunchboxfl

Joined Mar 14, 2017
lunchboxfl lunchboxfl If you have some silicone use that to hold it in place . Couple dabs on each of the sides . If you need to get back in there , use a utility knife to cut it loose .
I will do that. Thanks.

I did just do a test and noticed an 11 degree difference between the Auber and my therm pro. Any suggestions or if Auber may be right?

Attachments

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Is that a TP 20 or an 08 ? My TP 20 gave me trouble .
MES 30 or 40 ?
How do you have the temp probe for the Auber mounted , and is it in the same area as your other therm ?

lunchboxfl

Joined Mar 14, 2017
Is that a TP 20 or an 08 ? My TP 20 gave me trouble .
MES 30 or 40 ?
How do you have the temp probe for the Auber mounted , and is it in the same area as your other therm ?
TP 20 purchased 2017
MES 30
Both lower middle of rack

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
TP 20 purchased 2017
Mine too . The probes should be lifetime . I need to get 2 new ones , but I have so
many others I don't worry about it .
My 20 would test good at boiling and in ice water , but in between it was way off .

It's funny how the temps can differ in an MES . Even if just a bit apart . I think the Auber is more sensitive than any remote therm . Just my opinion .
I have the multi use probe for mine . It can be used in water for SV so I've tested it at boiling . I don't know what yours has , so I'm not going to suggest you do that . I thought when I looked up your model it only had one choice for a probe that worked in a smoker only . Mine doesn't have meat probes , just a temp control .
Maybe try moving to a different location , or just hang both thru the top vent and see if it changes . That differential can be adjusted for read out if needed , but get a better idea of which one is reading the true temp .

lunchboxfl

Joined Mar 14, 2017
Mine too . The probes should be lifetime . I need to get 2 new ones , but I have so
many others I don't worry about it .
My 20 would test good at boiling and in ice water , but in between it was way off .

It's funny how the temps can differ in an MES . Even if just a bit apart . I think the Auber is more sensitive than any remote therm . Just my opinion .
I have the multi use probe for mine . It can be used in water for SV so I've tested it at boiling . I don't know what yours has , so I'm not going to suggest you do that . I thought when I looked up your model it only had one choice for a probe that worked in a smoker only . Mine doesn't have meat probes , just a temp control .
Maybe try moving to a different location , or just hang both thru the top vent and see if it changes . That differential can be adjusted for read out if needed , but get a better idea of which one is reading the true temp .
Will try that. Thanks

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
I will do that. Thanks.

I did just do a test and noticed an 11 degree difference between the Auber and my therm pro. Any suggestions or if Auber may be right?
Have you taken the Auber inside and done a boil test with it's probe to see if it measures 212F or close in boiling water?
The Auber probe is not water proof so what I do is I put the probe inside a gallon freezer, in the corner of the bag. When I submerge the probe wrapped in the bag the water pressure squeezes the air out of the bag and you can get a good reading.

You can test both your Auber and Thermopro probes this way. If the Auber probe is off I THINK there is an "offset" setting on the Auber so you can add a thermometer adjustment. If it reads 5 degrees low then change the offset so the thermometer reads 5 degrees higher than what it reports with no offset. You get the idea, just tweak so it reflects a true/truer number :)

I hope this info helps and welcome to the PID club :D

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
If the Auber probe is off I THINK there is an "offset" setting
There is . I've been looking for the thread , or post where I went through it with someone . Can't find it . Might be buried in this thread somewhere . It gets mentioned a couple times . Post 76 and post 178 . So much good info in this thread it gets missed .
The lock code is 155 , but find out what you're dealing with before you start changing values .

Icefever

Joined Jul 1, 2018
Ok guys, I found this thread after posting about the problems yesterday with my new MES40. I'll have all the parts together by the end of today. I noticed yesterday that there's a small panel on the rear of the cabinet, reading this very helpful thread on how to wire the smoker it shows taking a panel off the underside, I'm wondering did Masterbuilt change the layout???
IMG_20211101_065658566.jpg

IMG_20211101_065613392.jpg

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
The back panel should be access to the heating element , and the underside is the power input .

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Yup . They are all a bit different , so if you get in there and have a question take time to ask . It's pretty simple really , but kind of intimidating at the same time .
You could actually just hook the power cord to the element , but by doing the rewire you keep the limit switch in the circuit . That's how I have mine , and it did save me once .
This is what's behind the back panel on my MES 30 .
1635771963765.jpeg

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Ok guys, I found this thread after posting about the problems yesterday with my new MES40. I'll have all the parts together by the end of today. I noticed yesterday that there's a small panel on the rear of the cabinet, reading this very helpful thread on how to wire the smoker it shows taking a panel off the underside, I'm wondering did Masterbuilt change the layout???
View attachment 515148

View attachment 515149
Hi there and welcome!

chopsaw chopsaw has your questions covered.

Since you are opening things up and rewiring anyhow it would be good to check the heating element wire connectors. The cheap crappy spade wire connectors that Masterbuilt uses corrode and fail like crazy. I've seen 3 month old MES units with horribly rusted and corroded connectors (mine) when kept out of the weather and with a cover.

If you need high temp ones that would work these should do the trick:
amazon" style="max-width:120px">
Ask any questions you have, we'll get you hooked up. Also welcome to the PID club :D

Buttinator

Joined Oct 6, 2021
I posted my report in the wrong place. :emoji_disappointed_relieved: Anyway the Auber worked great with my Masterbuilt slave cabinet. :emoji_sweat_smile:

I noticed the Auber has a heatsink on the bottom. The Auber is black and out in the sun (and on top of my smoker). Has anyone tried adding a fan to the Aubers? I was thinking either AC (via the smoke AC port) or solar. Too bad there are no USB or DC hookups on the Aubers.

Also does anyone know how to change the name of the Auber's probes in the app?

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
I posted my report in the wrong place. :emoji_disappointed_relieved: Anyway the Auber worked great with my Masterbuilt slave cabinet. :emoji_sweat_smile:

I noticed the Auber has a heatsink on the bottom. The Auber is black and out in the sun (and on top of my smoker). Has anyone tried adding a fan to the Aubers? I was thinking either AC (via the smoke AC port) or solar. Too bad there are no USB or DC hookups on the Aubers.

Also does anyone know how to change the name of the Auber's probes in the app?
Nice! I posted in your other thread but will repeat here for anyone who sees this thread.

Covering your Auber with some kind of shade shield and putting it on a board or something that get's it off the smoker should do the trick. I would go super low tech if you want a fan and just buy a little nightstand fan and get a splitter extension cord cable and just put the fan to blow on the auber if heat is really an issue. I think shade and lifting will do the trick. I'm here in TX and that does it for the PID controllers here :)

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.