MES question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

muddydogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 19, 2016
Ogden Utah
Is there anything you guys can tell me from these 3 crappy photo's about this MES? I'm thinking its a 30" gen 2?

20171215222844-06d5d8c7.jpg

20171215222844-02d19a2f.jpg

20171215222845-8075d016.jpg

That is a gen 1 for sure. I'm not sure if it's 30 or 40 but I thought only the stainless with the window was 40 inch but I could be wrong on the size, but definitely a Gen 1.

After finding Bearcarver's MES information I do believe that your right in it being a Gen 1. The seller is going to measure the unit today to be sure but he thinks it is a 40" smoker.
I asked the seller about a remote and he said all it has is the unit control panel, was the remote an option on the Gen 1? From what I have found on the net it seems like the remote was standard, if so it looks like I can get a replacement from Masterbuilt.

I can't answer your question but to clean the interior use a 50/50 mix of purple power and water. Remove all the racks and drip tray, spray the interior close the door for 5 or 10 minutes. Open door and hose out with a gentle stream of water and watch all the black ooze simply float away.

Keep the door open to air dry for a an hour or two while you work on the grates and drip try with the same 50/50 solution.

Thanks for the info, if I end up with the smoker I'll give it a try. Waiting on the seller to get back to me on size, guess I had better get the potato sausage stuffed this morning in case I'm road tripping to pick this smoker up.

Looking at the 1st and last pic, I'm quite certain it's a 30. Another way is to see another shot of the top which to show how close the vent is to the controller.

After finding Bearcarver's MES information I do believe that your right in it being a Gen 1. The seller is going to measure the unit today to be sure but he thinks it is a 40" smoker.
I asked the seller about a remote and he said all it has is the unit control panel, was the remote an option on the Gen 1? From what I have found on the net it seems like the remote was standard, if so it looks like I can get a replacement from Masterbuilt.

Yes, That is a Gen #1, and judging by the distance between the left end of the Chip Burner and the inside of the left wall, I would guess that's only about 5 3/4", which would make it an MES 30.

As for the Remote----The very first MES Gen #1 units did not have remotes.
The first remotes came out about 2010, I believe.
However I'm guessing here, but I think the Remotes came out the same time the Meat Probe did, and the one you're showing has a Meat Probe.

Bear

Last edited:
Bummer deal, seller measured it and it is a 30" unit model 20070110. I'm wanting a 40" so I'll keep looking. Its not like I need it today I just want a more of a set and forget unit for snack sticks and jerky plus something that fires up quick if I want smoked burgers or sausages for dinner after work.

If anyone in Utah see's this post and is interested in a $50 MES check out smokers in KSL classifieds.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky