MES moisture question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Alright... I put a batch of jerky in smoker this morning. I hung it on my antennas and dabbed most of the juice off. I have the drip pan or water pan in. The temp is 160. I have the vent completely open.
Hopefully it turns out great..
What does the lava rocks do..
I think they provide a dry heat sink as well as a place to disapate the drippings as they fall. I hang my jerky with toothpicks between the rack spacing. You can really load a mess of jerky in the MES that way.

Here is a link to some pics.....    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/79759/first-jerky-with-the-mes

Last edited:
Hey thanks. Jerky update.... 8-1/2hrs on so far no moisture problem the temp is at 160 degrees the drip pan only has what dripped off the meat in it. So far so good. I had some left over that I could not fit on the antennas so I laid it on the rack. It got done Alot quicker and it has a very good taste to it. I do want to check in to the lava rock stuff. Thanks for everyones help. I also took notice that the smoker was not calling for heat as much as it did with the fan blowing on it...

Hey thanks. Jerky update.... 8-1/2hrs on so far no moisture problem the temp is at 160 degrees the drip pan only has what dripped off the meat in it. So far so good. I had some left over that I could not fit on the antennas so I laid it on the rack. It got done Alot quicker and it has a very good taste to it. I do want to check in to the lava rock stuff. Thanks for everyones help. I also took notice that the smoker was not calling for heat as much as it did with the fan blowing on it...

Did you put smoke on it this time, after the outer surface dried?

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it.

Bear

No actual smoke.. Just liquid smoke this time.I am going to give the hickory smoke a try soon

What will I benefit from putting the lava rocks being in the drip pan?

I think that lava rocks will serve the same purpose as the sand mentioned earlier. They are just to attract and trap moisture.

Lava rocks should hold heat, so the recovery isn't as long after you open the door. Much like water & sand.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky