MES ... I hate you

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

beuler

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
North Dakota
I'm about done ... I've had it ! Why do we have to modify a smoker to make it work:devil:
The AMPS dies out, my mailbox mod isn't working since the vent is on the side ( no draft ) and the chip loader is to hot it makes a nasty smelling ashtray tasting smoke ...

I'm about done ... I've had it ! Why do we have to modify a smoker to make it work:devil:
The AMPS dies out, my mailbox mod isn't working since the vent is on the side ( no draft ) and the chip loader is to hot it makes a nasty smelling ashtray tasting smoke ...
Whoooooo Slow Down Cowboy!

Let's get to the root of the evil here!

My guess is your MES is the New Gen2....Correct?

Air flow thru the New Gen 2 is terrible, but let's try and improve on what you got

Pull off the mailbox mod and start over

Remove the water pan and place it on the floor

Place the AMNPS 5x8 on top the hole where the water pan used to sit

Exhaust WIDE open

Pull the chip loader out 2" and rotate to the "Dump" position....VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

You may need to add a 3" aluminum elbow to the exhaust for a chimney

Start off with the very basics, and make 1 change at a time

What pellets are you using in the AMNPS 5x8?

Cold smoking or hot smoking?

You can ALWAYS call me at work or on my cell

Todd

Work (952)736-7678

Cell (952)412-0484

Todd, to give out your phone # is a prime example why you are the best!

I have had an earlier post on here that you and others responded to. Not bashing your product, maybe the MES 40 a bit ...

I used your pellets...did everything I could , even added a fan , but it keeps going out. So now im working on the Mailbox...I think this will be the ticket....I drilled a few more holes in it last night and I think I need to burn both ends, and im adding a fan , or a side chimney...I still might call you!

Thanks, Joe

Todd, to give out your phone # is a prime example why you are the best!

I have had an earlier post on here that you and others responded to. Not bashing your product, maybe the MES 40 a bit ...

I used your pellets...did everything I could , even added a fan , but it keeps going out. So now im working on the Mailbox...I think this will be the ticket....I drilled a few more holes in it last night and I think I need to burn both ends, and im adding a fan , or a side chimney...I still might call you!

Thanks, Joe
Go back to the basics and try my method for the MES Gen 2

The Chip Load must be in the :Dump" position, or you completely block off any intake air

Place the AMNPS 5x8 on the top rack, and watch the turbulence thru the window!

As plenty of people have stated on here, properly lighting the pellets is key. I have used my AMNPS a bunch of time with no problems but this weekend I got lazy with the lighting and it kept going out. I finally took it out of the mailbox, added more pellets, and re-lit it making sure it was properly burning before putting it in the box. After that it went for 6 hours with out missing a beat.

I have the same problem in my MES 40". My 5x8 amps keeps going out also.Don't know how to correct. Help would be greatly appreciated. Also where do you put your temp probe in the smoker to watch smkker temp?. I have the 733 double probe. Mes is approx. 25 degress off from the probe. I try to put the probe in the middle of the smoker, is this good or should it be somelace else? Thanks; Pat

Maybe I should have post my Ex-Wife's #?
Does she know smoking, and is she better looking than you?
yahoo.gif

I have the same problem in my MES 40". My 5x8 amps keeps going out also.Don't know how to correct. Help would be greatly appreciated. Also where do you put your temp probe in the smoker to watch smkker temp?. I have the 733 double probe. Mes is approx. 25 degress off from the probe. I try to put the probe in the middle of the smoker, is this good or should it be somelace else? Thanks; Pat
I always place the air temp probe next to the piece that I will think will cook the fastest. For example, If I am cooking two butts and one is a pound under the other I will place the probe on the rack with the smaller one. There probably isn't any logic to my madness but it seems to work for me.

I hang my probe using a magnet Gets in any level

Look at the cork rings

The Old Model MES is different than the New Gen 2

Which model do you have

My New Gen 2 is easily 25° off

I have to set it at 205° to maintain 225°-230° on the middle racks

Forget about using the lowest rack, because it waaaay too hot!

If you have an older Gen 1 smoker with the vent on top. You can set a 2 foot piece of 3" PVC pipe on top of the vent and it will increase the air flow sizably. It was a while back but seems if you increase the length of the discharge by two feet, it will in fact change the drafting ability from the flow coefficent from a 3" to a 4" piece of pipe. But that was a while back. You might ask Dave, he's more adapt with the formulas than myself.

Sounds silly doesn't it, but it worked.

If you have an older Gen 1 smoker with the vent on top. You can set a 2 foot piece of 3" PVC pipe on top of the vent and it will increase the air flow sizably. It was a while back but seems if you increase the length of the discharge by two feet, it will in fact change the drafting ability from the flow coefficent from a 3" to a 4" piece of pipe. But that was a while back. You might ask Dave, he's more adapt with the formulas than myself.

Sounds silly doesn't it, but it worked.
The Chimney Effect

Ever seen a wood stove without a chimney?

How well would a fireplace work without a chimney?

I duct taped some #3 bean cans together to make my chimney, then someone on SMF posted the nice looking 3" aluminum elbow they got at the big box store.

The Old Model MES is different than the New Gen 2

Which model do you have

My New Gen 2 is easily 25° off

I have to set it at 205° to maintain 225°-230° on the middle racks

Forget about using the lowest rack, because it waaaay too hot!
Do you all know the hanging oven thermometers we used to use in ovens?..Thats what I use in my MES 40 ,

hanging on the 2nd rack from the top. I have to set my smoker to 212 to get it to stay around 220.

My MES 40 reads temp higher than my Mavereck ET 733. Example MES reads 275° and my ET733 reads 250°. If I set it for 250 my ET 733 will read around 215.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky