MES extension cords

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It might.... 12 gauge wire is pretty good.... but..... the voltage drop over 100 feet may screw things up.... you also have to consider the length of wiring inside your house that adds to that length... are you plugging into a 20 amp outlet.... that will help... it's 12 gauge wire... 15 amp outlet is 14 gauge.....

Looks like that would work-the amp rating is good. If you went with a shorter cord you could do 14 gauge. Just make sure the amp rating is more than your smoker and that it is a grounded(3 wire) cord.

As Dave mentioned, you might not want 100' cord. I use a 14ga cord with no problems but it is only a 20' cord. I have seen cords catch fire on construction sites from drawing a high load over a long cord for too long. 

I also have a regular Coleman orange cable, I think 25 feet, but I dont know if that will do the trick.  It kept tripping my Toro 1800 (15 amps).

A 1200 watt masterbuilt will only draw around 10amps so it "should" work on most quality extension cords. Also, the element will cycle on and off so it is not a constant 10 amp draw.

You could get a cord like this for $20 and be good to go:

054732806652.jpg

Reactions: daricksta
It its only 10amps I'm sure that 100' cord will be fine.  Its an $80 cord.  Otherwise I will get the one listed above.  Thanks.

A 1200 watt masterbuilt will only draw around 10amps so it "should" work on most quality extension cords. Also, the element will cycle on and off so it is not a constant 10 amp draw.

You could get a cord like this for $20 and be good to go:

054732806652.jpg
This is the exact extension cord I use with my MES 30 Gen 1 and it works fine. I have two outdoor power outlets and use this for the front of the house outlet. Good recommendation, BMaddox.

It its only 10amps I'm sure that 100' cord will be fine.  Its an $80 cord.  Otherwise I will get the one listed above.  Thanks.
As @DaveOmak  said you have to take into account the wiring to the outlet in the first place. Wire sizes are typically based on 50' runs (depending on the local code). If your run is 200' total than 12ga might not be enough. That's why I always use a short cord with my electrics as I don't know the exact run to the outlet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky