MES as a Ronco smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lostarrow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
jackson ms.
I'm going to try something new, i'm going to see how my MES works as a RONCO (set it and forget it) smoker.My friend with a BGE has ticked me off.The plan is to put a 6LB butt on about 7am. I'm putting dry chips & chunks
on the bottom of the wood pan and soaked chips & chunks on top of these to extend the time I get smoke. I plan on filling the water pan about 2/3 full and leaving the top vent 2/3 open. When i get home 7 hr.later (thurs is a short day) I'm going to foil in a pan stick a thermometer in it and finish the cook.
Anyone tried anything similar or any suggestions before I start

I have used mine overnight a few times for pulling brisket. I got the brisket to 160* foiled it, set the temp on the MES to 205*, in bed for 7 hours, wake up & brisket is at 205* & falling apart....Breakfast is served!

Pretty good as a set it & forget it smoker.I cooked a 6 lb butt today, at 7 am I put it on let it cook till 4pm (when I got home from work ) foiled it & cooked for 3 hours at 250. It was tender,moist,moderately smoked,& had a good crust. Only downside the meat didn't look as "pretty" as done on my charcoil smoker.

Tuesday evening the wife rubbed two 6 lb butts and I put them in the MES at 4:30 yesterday morning with some wood chips in the pan and the water pan 2/3 full of apple juice and I left for work at 4:45, I called the wife at 6:00 and had her add some wood chips and then again at 8:00 befor she left for work, I got haome by 3:00 and the butts were at 194° and at 4:45 they were done perfect.

What Fish said, I do it all the time. I have also reset the temps to 150' and kept it in for hours before pulling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky