MES 40 trapping too much moisture

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigfish98

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Bismarck, ND
Hey guys!  It has been a month or two since I last posted, but I have been trying to perfect my smoking in my new MES 40 and I have run into an issue.  I was using a propane water smoker before I moved and I always had good luck with it.  I bought the MES 40 as I am now in an apartment and it is easier to deal with.  The only issue that I have had so far is that it almost seems like everything is too wet.  I did some ckicken wings in it the other day and just couldn't get the skin how I like it.  I have never put any liquid in the water pan in this unit so it isn't me, that I know of.  Is this just a drawback of this kind of smoker?  Or is there something I can do to get the moisture out of the unit faster?  (that is without losing all my smoke and heat!)

Thanks guys,

Bigfish

The MES will not get to a high enough temps to crisp up the skin on poultry.

you can finish them in a 400 degree oven or under the broiler.

The MES does put out a good bit of steam which i like as it keeps things from drying out.

I see what you mean.  I was thinking of doing a turkey this weekend.  I would need to do the same thing for it then, correct?  When do you pull it?  I am assuming you pull it before it hits temp and finish it in 400 degree oven.  My worry is either over cooking it trying to crisp the skin or having the skin crisp before it is fully done.  Not sure if any of that makes sense or not.

Bigfish

Higher temps are required to crisp the skin on poultry and there are different ways of doing that.

If your unit is developing excessive moisture in side, that is a totally different issue and will have to be addressed differently. Some humidity in the smoke chamber is actually useful as long as it is not excessive.

Good luck and good smoking.

The exhaust on the top of the unit should be fully open to let the moisture out.... If there is still moisture, chech the holes in the chip tray... there should be three... slide the chip tray out 1/8" to allow for more air flow..... Dave

Hey Buddy, Smoke that turkey at 225*F to about 140*F IT then stick it in the Oven at 400*F to finish the cook to 165-170*F...JJ

I agree with Jimmy....Smoke it in your MES and finish it off in the oven

Colder temps cause the inside of your MES to form more condensation.  Condensation really froms on the window, and the drips down the door.  It's supposed to hit a little drip edge at the bottom of the door, and into the lower drip pan, it seems to miss the pan and run out the door seal.  Raise the front of your MES a little, and the moisture will tend to drip into the lower drip pan.

Like Dave said, pull your chip pan out a little, and also pull your chip loader out about 2".  This will allow for more air to circulate thru your smoker.

Good Luck with your turkey!!

Todd

Hey Buddy, Smoke that turkey at 225*F to about 140*F IT then stick it in the Oven at 400*F to finish the cook to 165-170*F...JJ
Quote:
I agree with Jimmy....Smoke it in your MES and finish it off in the oven

Colder temps cause the inside of your MES to form more condensation.  Condensation really froms on the window, and the drips down the door.  It's supposed to hit a little drip edge at the bottom of the door, and into the lower drip pan, it seems to miss the pan and run out the door seal.  Raise the front of your MES a little, and the moisture will tend to drip into the lower drip pan.

Like Dave said, pull your chip pan out a little, and also pull your chip loader out about 2".  This will allow for more air to circulate thru your smoker.

Good Luck with your turkey!!

Todd
Thanks guys!  I will try that this weekend!  Really looking forward to experimenting with different flavors in my brine.  I have only brined one turkey before and I used a store bought brine mix.  I am going to make my own this weekend.  Still thinking of what I want in it!  Thanks JJ for the info on when to switch it to the oven.  That is exactly what I was looking for!

Bigfish

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky