MES 40 90 day probation period over!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
Hello everyone. After  a lot of time spent reading reviews on the MES40 I pulled the trigger back in mid August. I figured that I'd give it 90 days and several uses before I posted anything either negative or positive. So, here's my review for what it's worth. Bought the MES 40 at Sam's Club for $300 and got the MES cold smoker attachment for around $75 from Bass Pro Shops. So far I have Smoked baby back ribs, chickens, spare ribs, briskets, smoked 62# of Jalapeno/Cheese sausage, 40#  sausage using Leggs Old Plantation #10 seasoning. I'm sure there's a thing or two that I'm missing but it's a good sampling of the machine's capability. Of the things above mentioned, the only one that wasn't superb was the brisket. It was quite edible but just not the quality that I can produce in my big stick burner. This was something I expected and briskets were not my reason for buying an electric smoker. The most pleasing thing has been it's ability to smoke sausage. Using 7/8" dowels, I can hang & smoke about 20# batches. It does and outstanding job, some of the prettiest sausage I have ever produced. I now have a turkey in the fridge that's destined to be brined and smoked and a shank portion ham that's gonna get Bear's twice smoked treatment. Equipment wise, everything works flawlessly. The temps on the next to top rack run within 5 degrees of my Polder oven temp gauge. The meat probe is within 2 degrees of my Maverick probe. The cold smoker attachment has worked nicely also. I don't use the little J-hook rod to secure it. I simply slide them together and it works with no smoke leakage whatsoever. As I had read on this forum and others, the chips will get stuck in the tube of the cold smoker but I'll just whack it with a piece of 1" X 2"  if I see it not smoking and all is well. Not really an issue. For the money spent I can't really imagine a better product.

It's a Gen 2. Currently have it going doing a twice smoked ham.

It's a Gen 2. Currently have it going doing a twice smoked ham.
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif
???

When you get a chance will you drop by roll call so everyone can give you a proper SMF welcome?

Happy smoken.

David

Thanks David. I followed BearCarver's direction to the letter (thanks again) and my wife who's a ham hater fell in lust with it, she was chewing and moaning and saying "Oh my God" I didn't know ham could taste like this! The pics kinda suck cause I'm using an iphone and the lighting was less than stellar. I'll try to do better next time.

Thanks David. I followed BearCarver's direction to the letter (thanks again) and my wife who's a ham hater fell in lust with it, she was chewing and moaning and saying "Oh my God" I didn't know ham could taste like this! The pics kinda suck cause I'm using an iphone and the lighting was less than stellar. I'll try to do better next time.
That's Awesome, Cmack!!

I'm real glad you had great success!!

Your wife had the same reaction I had the first time I ever had a Double Smoked Ham.

That's why I never bought a fresh "Raw Ham" and brined & smoked it myself. We can get the cured & smoked Shank or Butt ends for such a cheap price, and smoke it again & make it taste better than a $4 to $5 per pound Ham!!

Keep up the good work!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky