MES 40 1st Gen...Two Questions Need Answered Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Recently bought a new MES 40 1st Generation and since I am only familiar with the 30" model I need two questions answered before I put this baby into use.

1. Since I am not going to use the built in meat probe, can I disconnect it without creating havoc with the control panel?

2. Cannot seem to find what the wattage of the heating element is.  Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any help on these two matters.

John

Edited by BandCollector - Today at 11:30 am

You should have no issue removing the internal probe.  You could just disconnect it rather than cut and if the panel gives you an error message plug it back in. 

I researched my element (same smoker) and it was 1200w.  

Hope it helps

You should have no issue removing the internal probe.  You could just disconnect it rather than cut and if the panel gives you an error message plug it back in. 

I researched my element (same smoker) and it was 1200w.  

Hope it helps
Thanks for the help...I appreciate it.

John

John, something else I was thinking about was after you disconnect the probe use a multimeter and read the resistance.  Then get a resistor close to that value and plug it in where the connector goes.  Your panel would always read one constant temp for the probe.  The reading you get will change with the probe temp.  So, if you wanted a standard reading (lets say 32deg F) just put the probe in some freezing water (verify temp with your more accurate thermometer).  

Joe

John, something else I was thinking about was after you disconnect the probe use a multimeter and read the resistance.  Then get a resistor close to that value and plug it in where the connector goes.  Your panel would always read one constant temp for the probe.  The reading you get will change with the probe temp.  So, if you wanted a standard reading (lets say 32deg F) just put the probe in some freezing water (verify temp with your more accurate thermometer).  

Joe
Thanks Joe

I am not as proficient and knowledgeable as you regarding the use of multimeters and current flows but I will do my best.

I will disconnect the meat probe and if the digital control works, I will leave it disconnected...If the digital control goes "wacky" then I will reconnect the meat probe.

That is the extent of my knowledge regarding electronics...LOL!

Thanks again,  John

Thanks Joe

I am not as proficient and knowledgeable as you regarding the use of multimeters and current flows but I will do my best.

I will disconnect the meat probe and if the digital control works, I will leave it disconnected...If the digital control goes "wacky" then I will reconnect the meat probe.

That is the extent of my knowledge regarding electronics...LOL!

Thanks again,  John
Welcome to help.  If you disconnect it and have issues let me know and I will take some readings for you and a "plug n play" solution.  Please let us know how it works out for you.

Welcome to help.  If you disconnect it and have issues let me know and I will take some readings for you and a "plug n play" solution.  Please let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks Earthquake...Really appreciate the interest you are taking in my experiment.

John

I understand that you will not be using the Masterbuilt meat probe....but why disconnect it? You can just leave it in its holder on the side of the smoker, it has yet to cause me any issues by just being there. Either way, best of luck to you Sir....

20070211 SS door/with window, black body, 1200 Watt heating element, remote control, wheels/handle, with heating element access door, small wood chip tray

20070311 SS door/with window, SS body, 1200 Watt heating element, remote control, wheels/handle, with heating element access door, small wood chip tray

I have not looked for the acess door, but I did talk to Masterbuilt and got the larger firebox/chip tray conversion.

I don't use the meat probe either, although it is nice sometimes after calibration to have a second sorce of actual box interior temp. I wouldn't trash it.  It shouldn't be in the way while in the holster in the box.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky